• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winterfest noob trail question.

JTProuhet

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Obviously this is our first time attending the event and will be my second time at the park and trying to gauge the trails. How difficult is the mission impossible trails? I feel like I've got a pretty capable rig, I just don't want to get completely in over my head joining in the MI hard group. Quick run down on said jeep.

98 xj
D30/8.8
Locked /locked
3 link
35s on beadlocks
Cage /seats /harnesses
f6077393bd5bde24a091e5bdb2482942.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I'd like to Know this too. My rig is very similar to yours, locked/locked, cage, 35s, beadlocks, etc. I signed up for MI medium on Saturday, but might want to jump in with the hard group.

The MI trail guides will make the final determination, and it may be a numbers game. They only want a certain number in each group and if too many people change difficulty the guides may not let all who want to switch do it.

The MI trail guides will make the final determination, and it may be a numbers game. They only want a certain number in each group and if too many people change difficulty the guides may not let all who want to switch do it.
Well that's why i was trying to figure it out ahead if time so it wasnt a surprise the day of lol

Anyone have pics of their rigs on mi hard trails?I've heard guys say they're not terrible and I've heard guys say they're pretty extreme

The extreme stuff there are bypasses and you don’t have to destroy your rig. Last year we ran hard with 35s locked Locked and 33s Locked locked. Made it interesting but it can be done.

I’m copying your exocage design for sure!! Where did you weld your supports to? Looks like the front goes to frame under fender? What about the rear?

87' XJ Wagoneer I-6 AW4 NP242

I’m copying your exocage design for sure!! Where did you weld your supports to? Looks like the front goes to frame under fender? What about the rear?

The front goes through the fender down to the 2x6 rockers and welded to the cowl/firewall behind the fender. The b, c, and d pillars for the time being are just welded to 6x6 foot plates thats welded to the floor. Floor is 100% rust free and the d pillars are welded directly over the unibody and shackle brackets. And the b and c pillars are welded directly above the unibody. So unless the unibody falls apart, the cage isn't going anywhere

Sweet, so everything comes pre bent? Man the middle x takes a lot of space in there.

How did you seal around where to pillars go through the roof?

Yes everything was pre bent. And most was pre notched. But 99% of their notches i had to touch up. Without the X it would fold up in the event of a rollover. I just got in my PRP seats this past weekend so I'm in the process of installing them and have come across a few issues with the b pillars and the harness bar in my way. So the harness bar is getting cut out and a new one bent to make a little extra room and it will get ran for Winterfest.. Then I'm thinking the b pillars are going to get cut out and remade so i have more room up front.

But i had plates made for the roof that were welded around the tube and then sealed between the roof and plates.
53d1b864a87a3865c782d905e00c9c8e.jpg

We ran the easier of the MI past 2 years on 31s both locked . But run with guys on 33,35,37s and followed them all day.

Ran hard last year also and did ok until I let me foot get a bit heavy on the last hill of the day. Your rig would do fine on my opinion. Has much more to do with driver than rig setup

We ran the easier of the MI past 2 years on 31s both locked . But run with guys on 33,35,37s and followed them all day.

Ran hard last year also and did ok until I let me foot get a bit heavy on the last hill of the day. Your rig would do fine on my opinion. Has much more to do with driver than rig setup
Alright cool thanks. I'm still trying to catch myself up with what the jeep is capable of lol.

So another question. We were at badlands last spring and I wanted to go through both culvert pipes into the water. But the right one, the water would've been over my hood. So I backed out of it, I don't want to hydro lock my motor lol so what are you guys running for intakes that have gone through it?

Back