• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Mj tilt column whoes

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
So the mj project had the typical tilt column issues. It finally failed completely and would not trigger the starter. Key cylinder was just turning loose. So I decided to tear into it and tighten the bolts on the back.

Pulled the steering wheel.

Pulled the plastic cover by releasing the tabs.

I hate that damn plate and clip.... got it off....

Moved that thing....

Turn signal switch was next.

Then the lock cylinder and cover bolts.

Removed the tilt spring and the pivot pins to this point.

The odd shaped piece will nto come out and the top of the column will not come off to give me access to the damn bolts. What am I missing? I think this column is toast. Is there an option besides trying to find another MJ column? Any help would be great!

Glenn "Frustrated Ghost" Fulmer!

That column is not specific to MJ, post in the XJ forum.

That is a GM column found in many GM cars and trucks, such as Malibu and Cutlass and others, you may find more help elsewhere.

So I'm back in this. Key stopped triggering the ignition. It keys on then stops and will not pull the switch on.

So some how the ignition actuator rod got bent....

Anyone have a part number or source for them? I see reproduction columns but cannot find the actuator rod.

I'll see if I have a spare.

I have a full column out of an 86 mj u can have if it crosses over. I think it should. I'd have to check to see if it was tilt tho.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Did you ever fix this? Did that column work?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nope. That column went in the ghost. My column has a different rod so we will probably just order a new one.

I have another column in my 92

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Oh yea. well if the rod goes over they column then it will not work.

Ever figure out the steering wheel lock not working? Mine hasn't worked since swapping in a different column but my tilt is fine.

Ever figure out the steering wheel lock not working? Mine hasn't worked since swapping in a different column but my tilt is fine.

The rod being bent would not allow the piece that slides up and down on it not to move far enough. Basically the bent actuator rod. They have 2 different lengths of the straight one and another that curves a partly around the column.

Back