• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Leak Near Firewall

bjoehandley

NAXJA Forum User
Finally procrastinated long enough and started trying to figure out where the fuel leak on my '98 XJ is, and Dad pin pointed it by to be near the firewall. We can't really see anything since the intake, brake booster, and airbox and didn't get into taking things apart before it was too late in the day. We're going to get digging into it tomorrow and probably Sunday. Does anybody have good pictures of what we should be looking for without the intake manifold in place or perhaps exploded view images of the area? We need to get this thing in for emissions testing by June 30th so I can register it for the next year and get the plate sticker. Luckily, we're in Illinois, so long as it doesn't throw a code, has a cat that appears to be functioning, and probably not leaking gas, they really don't give a rat's tookus about anything else........it's passed the last 3 times with a leaking radiator!

Thanks in advance!

Try putting it on jack stands and looking at it from the underside instead of the top. If it's leaking liquid gas, it's the hard line from the tank (There should only be one.) If it just smells like gas, suspect a rubber or plastic vapor line from the tank.

I was able to look at some images at the dealer while my daily driver 200 was getting the oil changed (cost me $14 for the whole job since it was bought there). Sounds like there is a plastic section on the hard like that runs under the intake by where it goes to the main line under the body that could be the culprit and if it's one of the hard lines (lots of rust under hood), Mopar still has them and I could get them by next weekend.

Well, looks like it was the quick disconnect at the bottom of the firewall, tubing from that into the plastic portion of the line rotted out, then broke when moving it into the current location. Dad figures it happened when he was moving it into it's current location (next to where it has been parked) and shifted from reverse into drive. Would explain the check engine light and poor driveability the last time he had it out on the road last year.

72363.thumb.jpeg.92d896844d63ad8926367e22d516a8ab.jpeg

72362.thumb.jpeg.bbb451c025550012c2b0976c22c41f80.jpeg

I went back the dealer Friday afternoon and ordered the replacement that we looked up when I was there that morning and they should have it mid-week and we should be able to get it installed next Saturday....then I have to drive it for the next week to make sure it would self clear any codes before I can run it through the local emissions testing so I can register it for the next year.

Quick update, the part came in, and we got it installed and the truck running!
IMG_20180623_115608_089.thumb.jpg.fdadbbdf04df10a75b10192fc52bdc11.jpg

At this point, I have also changed the oil, made sure the tires and rear air shocks were aired up, topped off the radiator and sacrificed a little blood to the Jeep Gods. Going to take it out and drive it some tomorrow, first stop will be a parts house to pick up some oil dry for that little mess I made changing the oil:eek:
20180623_220007.thumb.jpg.af0485aac1acd94beaae7cacef1dc267.jpg

Back