• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camshaft Upgrade

jeeper01

NAXJA Forum User
I'm looking to get into a small project no time frame. I want to put a new performance cam in my 88' XJ. What is you guys experiences, what do I need to know, what is the parts list. I have my dad who has rebuilt a motor or two but mostly this will be a learning experience. Thanks in advance.

i have a stock 93 4.0, 5spd and a 92 on 35 tsl sx with 4.11s, 4.0 with comp cams off road cam, intake, 30 over, and magnaflow and 5spd. now i can feel exactly where the torque curve come on and cuts out on both cherokees, and it really feels pretty much the same on both, doesnt come on really any sooner or stay anylonger, but i do have bad valve seals so that could be taking away from the overall performance, so theres my .02

Honestly I wouldn't bother. Search around a little bit, there's been tons of aftermarket cam failures lately- and the debris from that can wipe out the whole engine. I used to run a cam in a stock displacement 4.0, not a stroker, and it was no big deal. Sounded cool but couldn't really tell a lot of difference.

Back