• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gears or Tcase that is the question...

Rockdrummer93

NAXJA Forum User
Okay guys so I’m about to run 42” sticky tires on my 01. I had 40” sticky tires before that that were starting to pose a small issue on my 4.88s and stock 231 ratio.. now with 42s I know something has to change. I have a buddy of mine with a 4.1 teralow case he said he’d sell me for about the same amount it would cost to go 5.38s in my axles.. my question to you is what would be more beneficial if I had to choose one? I know the Teralows have a bad rep but still need something more to turn these 42s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guessing this is the same person that posted in RoXJoX :D

If it's a Tera case, HARD pass, unless you like broken stuff and no warranty.

This.

That's a discontinued product with no replacement parts available and a high failure rate.

Since it looks like you are going full buggy anyways why not just take this time to upgrade your tcase? If I didn’t go full retard with a Dana 300 I would have been looking at an under drive box and a ford 205 twin stick for front digs.

Being that you're at 4.88's, I'd just save the coin for a different case. You can usually find used 3.8 Atlas's once in a while for $1500 or so.

I personally would leave the gears as it, and try to work on saving for a different case.

The difference between 4.88 and 5.38's will be negligible compared to not just a better geared case, but a stronger one at that (which should allow for digs, etc.)

^^ agree 100%. You cannot be loving 4.88's on 40's with the stock 231, why compound the problem? You have clearly outgrown the 231 and are ready for a big boy case. I have a doubler with a built D300 and the gearing options are great on the trail. For 42's if you like technical stuff I would be looking for a 4 speed solution.

What I’ll probably end up doing is just start saving and the first rubi case or atlas I can find for a good price is getting bought.. I would love a twin stick but if I end up with a rubi case I’ll see about cutting my 231 up and using it at the reduction box for more options on the trail or not idk I really would love a 4 speed atlas but those are pricey. I am picking up a stroker from a buddy of mine this week so that will help some once I get it refreshed and in. Honestly would like to keep my 4.88s for gear strength but we’ll see

I run 4.88's with 35's, I can't imagine trying to spin 40's like that lol. What axles are you running?

If it were me I would just save up for the Atlas. I've ran a 231/300 setup before and it worked well, but the Atlas will be stronger and more or less bolt in. The NWF black box is cool too, but also pricey and you still have a 231 (now with more torque going through it) without the ability to twin stick. It'll also make you rear driveline a lot shorter. At least with the 231/300 setup your drive shafts stay close to the same length.

Last edited:
I run 4.88's with 35's, I can't imagine trying to spin 40's like that lol. What axles are you running?

If it were me I would just save up for the Atlas. I've ran a 231/300 setup before and it worked well, but the Atlas will be stronger and more or less bolt in.

Running 35 spline 60s front and rear. The 4.88s did fine with the 40s I’m just worried about the 42s I’ll probably just start saving and either buy and atlas or a rubi case depending on what I find

Back