• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Last minute wrenching - what are ya working on?

frijolee

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone else stupid enough to rip into their rig for a few last minute alterations before SoCal fest? What are you working on?

I just wanted to get my mid skid back on and do the Prothane coil bumps. We'll, since I had to pull the track bar and drag link to get the springs out, I decided to push and finish my front frame stiffeners too.

Yeah, guess who was welding on his rig at 11:00 last night and failed to move the welder's ground? This is right around the point those pesky electrons decide a brake line is a sufficient ground between axle and chassis. Much magic smoke was emitted, much frustration ensued. :explosion

Amazing prime to the rescue. Anyone else have a tale of woe to cheer me up from my stupidity? See y'all Friday (hopefully).

My rig hasn't moved in 6 months...I'll find out Thursday if it makes it to the trailer. :twak:

Replacing ball joints, installing new chromoly shafts, and adjusting bump stops (delrin rods) for new (to me) 35" tires. It all came to a grinding halt today when I couldn't find my 28mm socket for the lower ball joint nuts. Oh, and my battery seems to have died. It's still under full replacement warranty, so I'll be taking that in for a replacement in the morning.

I will be driving a metal contraption which looks like a station wagon, full of camping gear and delayed maintenance items...

My rock rails for the XJ should be on. Paint is out of the question, though.

All tacked together and "mounted". Need to remember to wear my glasses when burning things in, though.

Still having a clearance issue at the door side of the front fender, tires, cutoff wheel and bfh ought to do it.

Now all I need is to keep me from being me.

Last edited:
Main stiffeners burned in. Trying to get bottom fronts fabbed tonight, plus seal and paint. Reassembly (with new brake lines) tomorrow. Drive Friday. Back on track but cutting it close...

Well my day just got royally f@$&ed. Was pressing in the second bearing cap on a u-joint on my new chromollies and before I got it in far enough to fit the c-clip the end blew of the cap on the other side. If I can't find a replacement right quick, I guess I'll just have to put the old shaft back in and hope for the best.

Am I the only guy this has ever happened to?

40af0d57d1e11e6575472c0d838dbd1f.jpg

Well my day just got royally f@$&ed. Was pressing in the second bearing cap on a u-joint on my new chromollies and before I got it in far enough to fit the c-clip the end blew of the cap on the other side. If I can't find a replacement right quick, I guess I'll just have to put the old shaft back in and hope for the best.

Been there, done that. Just be light on your pedal and use finesse!!!!

Lol....done that before but on a 60

Usually that means the cap wasn't perfectly straight going in.

Well, got my stuff done (including reinstalling the stock pass side front shaft) and drove the Jeep last night. Detected the unmistakable aroma of a leaking heater core, which is a brand new issue.

I'll put that on the "fix before Moab" list. The fun just never stops.

See you all this afternoon.

Back