• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission cooler install writeup.

Talyn

NAXJA Forum User
Yeah, I am eventually going to put a temp sender and gauge in there... as for the text... i don't know... maybe i'll lighten it up a bit.

Oh.. any recomendations for a second gauge for my gauge pod?

-Chris

I'm putting a temp sender on my cooler, and I'm using a second coolant sensor and running that and the normal coolant sensor to a DPDT switch then to the guage. then i can read engine and tranny temp on the same factory guage with the flip of a switch.

BrettM said:
I'm putting a temp sender on my cooler, and I'm using a second coolant sensor and running that and the normal coolant sensor to a DPDT switch then to the guage. then i can read engine and tranny temp on the same factory guage with the flip of a switch.

Hey.. thats a damn good idea.

Yes...I know....old thread.....

But I would love to see a writeup!!!!

hey no complaints, you searched, found something relevant and are looking for some more help... good on ya.

I believe there are some write ups, on the cooler install atleast.

(hint) look lower left of this page "Similar Threads" 2nd one down, by BajaXJ92 should get you started.

if its the switch write up. not too hard to do, use a switch to 'switch' between inputs. instead of supplying power to a fan/lights/etc your feeding the 'power + ' from the sensors to the gauge depending on what pole the switch is at, (common ground - )

Sounds like alot of work. Personally I would like to see engine temp AND tranny temp at the same time. Anyway heres a link thats been floating around forever. Sorry if it doesnt help but I dont think seeing 2 different temps in the same gauge is even close to a good idea seeing how cheap it is to add a 2nd one.

http://jeepin.com/features/tranny_temp_gauge/

Last edited:
Sounds like alot of work. Personally I would like to see engine temp AND tranny temp at the same time. Anyway heres a link thats been floating around forever. Sorry if it doesnt help but I dont think seeing 2 different temps in the same gauge is even close to a good idea seeing how cheap it is to add a 2nd one.

http://jeepin.com/features/tranny_temp_gauge/

why isn't it a good idea?

what is your engine temp right now? whats your tranny temp right now?

considering there are no gauges stock (other than coolant temp), adding one is certainly beneficial, especially if it does the job of 2.

simple, space saving and it has the 'cool' factor.

x2 on what beakie says. sounds like an AWESOME idea to me.
maybe wire up 2 differant color led's for the which ever sensor its reading.

calling all electricians w/ mspaint / napkin skills to help out us electric tards?

put the sensors where ever you want them.
run the wires to where you want the gauges.

the grounds can go to ground on the gauge, easy.

the positive leads goto a switch with 2 inputs 1 output (3way switch? I forget)

positive lead from #1 sensor goes to #1input of switch
positive lead from #2 sensor goes to #2input of switch
output lead from switch goes to positive input on gauge

when the switch is up, gauge gets power from #1 sensor, down its gets power from #2 sensor.

my gauges don't get power from their sensors.. my gauges take power and give it to the sensors.. maybe it's different in canada but chassis is ground up here

:eyes:

Though I haven't actaully looked but I'm pretty sure that beakie is right in that there is a ground for the gauge on the gauge (say that 5 times fast). The gauge wouldn't be drawing current from both sensors at the same time, due to the switch, so the original ground should be sufficent. So long as the new tranny heat sensor doesn't have an outragous amp draw everything should be peachy.:clap:

Back