NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > JeepSpeed, Prerunner and Competition Tech Forum
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

JeepSpeed, Prerunner and Competition Tech Forum For Discussion of Modications related to Prerunning, JeepSpeed, KOH, Rock Racing, and any other speed based competitions

Old July 21st, 2018, 22:46
NAXJA Forum User

Re: '97 XJ Project "Body Shot"

I have been working with Ryan at Accutune offroad. I have changed my front metal cloak coils out for some 25" long 130# rate PAC racing springs. I have come to the conclusion now that you should only have enough spring rate to support the weight of the rig, and let the shocks do the rest.

I'll actually be installing the longest fox remote res shocks for the JK in my XJ. They have .5" more travel front and rear than the longest ones for the TJ/XJ. But the compressed and extended lengths will work well for me. I'm speaking of the 2.0 remote res shocks they make for specific vehicles to mount in stock locations.

I threw some straight cheap RC shackles on the rear. I had rustys boomerang shackles, then switched before the build to Synergy boomerang shackles. However I ended up needing and installing Ironman4x4 shackle relocation brackets. NOW at full compression the stupid shackle hit the leafs so I switched to a standard straight shackle to solve that. With the stock shackle location and deaver leafs you need to run the boomerang. The longer shackle is going to work well with the slightly longer shock for the JK. (1" longer on extended length)

On this run here my drag link contacts my oil pan. I added another hockey puck. During removal of the metal cloak coils I cycled my front suspension and adjusted LCA's and track bar so the front bumps would contact the hockey pucks much better. Compromise is that at ride height the axle is slightly to the driver side. https://vimeo.com/280090332

I also did a very poor job of welding my upper control arm mount on the axle and it broke off in that video on that landing. It's way better meow

Here's a jump I didn't really intend https://vimeo.com/281040784

Here soon I'm going to get much better pictures and videos of this thing.
Old July 21st, 2018, 22:47
NAXJA Forum User

Another video just because https://vimeo.com/281040450
Old July 21st, 2018, 23:27
NAXJA Forum User

Alright I'm going to keep updating this thread....

Flexed out

New springs

Happy with my shackle angle

Here you can see the bare metal on the main leaf where it was contacting the boomerang shackle.

My current front limit straps are 27". New ones going in with 1" longer shocks are 28". I mentioned previously I threw in another hockey puck up front so I've just moved my travel down an inch to keep things from hitting other things. I am SO tempted to throw on some 35" KO2's. They're the same weight as my 33" toyos

Here's a look at my rear bump stop as well. Had to trim it up a bit. They are working well and have definitely been used.
Old July 22nd, 2018, 13:15
NAXJA Forum User

I also ditched my old modified air box. It did in fact suck in water. I think it was largely due to my 2" holes in the sheet metal under the intake opening. I was trying really hard to make sure I got plenty of cool air to the intake. Everything is a compromise between offroad reliability and practicality, strength, weight, reliability etc.

I threw on this HUGE K&N air filter + drycharger pre-filter