• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel check valve?

sdspearo

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I've got a 2001 Grand Cherokee 4.0L with the fuel filter/regulator mounted to the frame (cylindrical shaped with 3 ports). In addition to the fuel pump in the tank, is there also a check valve within this filter/regulator? If so, what's procedure on how to test this check valve? The part is removed and on the bench.
Thanks

Well to answer my own question, yes, there is a check valve in the fuel filter/regulator.

I found out the expensive way. The jeep wasn't holding fuel pressure so after isolating the leak between the fuel rail and the tank, I assumed it was due to a leaky check valve in the fuel pump. Dropping the tank and swapping in a new pump didn't fix it...doh! Ended up swapping the filter/regulator this morning and now holds 50psi and starts right up on first crank.

To Test:
The filter/pressure regulator has 3 ports. The two on one end are the inlet from the pump and return to the tank. The one on the other end is the outlet and feeds the fuel rail. The check valve is between the fuel rail port and return port. You can test the check valve by blowing into the outlet port with your mouth while blocking the inlet with your finger. There shouldn't be any air leaking out thru the return port.

Wish I knew this before automatically assuming a bad check valve in the fuel pump.

duplicate

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, I only was aware of one in the fuel pump.

mac 'check yoself' gyvr

Back