• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i need ideas...

trouble1

NAXJA Forum User
I'm in Florida...and going to North Carolina to start a new job.
I have a 88 XJ that I am travelling there in. I blew the motor and just had to drop a huge chunk of change to re-do.
I'm pulling a 25' camper trailer with me....and have been told for the first 5000 miles, I dont want to put strain on this motor....I have to be up there this weekend, and I live in my RV....how can I get it there????????
any ideas???

Drive up there in the XJ to get the job leaving the trailer in FL. Take what you need and live in a cheap motel for a while until you rack up some miles on the XJ.

Easy, just put the XJs rear axle up on jack stands and let her go in drive at 1500 or 2000 RPM ala Ferris Beuller.

Okie Terry said:
Easy, just put the XJs rear axle up on jack stands and let her go in drive at 1500 or 2000 RPM ala Ferris Beuller.

LOL... just make sure that you don't kick it when it does that and I would recommend not doing it in the garage (or make sure it's well vented)....

Anyways, I'd probably lean towards the motel suggestion, or if you do decide to tow, do it slowly, carefully and at short pieces at a time.

I agree with the motel iddea as well. Just make sure you get a motel that is not across the street from you new job, and drive the long way to you job. Maybe drive around some at lunch.

5000 miles, are you sure they didn't mean 500? That's the typical breakin for a new motor. 5000 is waaayyyyy too much in my book.

Most motor break-in periods are in the area of 500 miles. A lot of companies will tell you the isn't completely broke in until 5000 but you can start regular driving after about 500.

Sarge

One point...

Now, the motor gurus be ready to correct me if I'm wrong...

But I thought that in the initial break in period a nice long drive of hundreds of miles is the worst thing you can do, trailer or no...?

Sequoia

Ya I have to agree with you. Because when I replacement mine the paper work with it stated 500 miles of short drives to heat and cool it down. Also we got a Z06 vette in Oct from the factory in Bowling Green. We asked the guy before we left what was the break in. We were driving it back to Philly. He stated that to break it in drive at different speeds, no cruise control and don't cruise at the same RPM for long periods of time. So we just would go between 55-80 for a few hours not trying to stay at the same RPM to break it in. Changed the oil when we got home. It was ready to go. I did the same thing in the XJ. Changed the oil at 500 miles, drove it on short 25-50 trips. Juice

yeah...long trip is bad...I'm going to take side roads, and a lot of stopping.
Side roads have the 55 - 45 - 35 - and back up etc....it's the best i can do. i checked into renting a u-haul..over $1000.00...yikes. ugh, I'll come up with something...

Back