• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

***Trail Communications - Radios***

macgyvr

NAXJA Member #120
NAXJA Member
I want to make sure again this year that everyone is on the same page for communicating on the trail at Winterfest. Many of you remember that two years ago we gave away FRS radios with registration for Winterfest. Those worked very well on the trail instead of using CB radios. While we haven't made the change to FRS mandatory, we are still strongly recommending FRS radios and we aren't using CBs again this year.

What this means is that if you got a radio two years ago, you are all set. Just throw a fresh set of batteries (some were AAA and some were AA) in that radio and you should be good.

If you don't have one, you can buy them online or pretty much anywhere for 1/10th of the cost of a CB setup.

The BOD has 10 radios left for $5 each (first come, first serve) that will be for sale at the registration booth that were leftover from two years ago. I wouldn't count on this tho, as we may sell out before you get to register.

There are some nicer radios and ones that have more options such as a bigger antenna, exterior antenna, programming options, and the ability to recharge. Please see this thread from 2016, "Which FRS?" for more information on other options.

Nate (87manche) can program radios again should you buy something other than a regular FRS, see the schedule of events sticky or find him.

You have been warned again.

mac 'questions? please ask' gyvr

No crap, but what pacific time zone are we pacifically talking about?

Just as a curiosity, what was the issue with CB radios?

more expensive, harder to tune, usually hard mounted in the vehicle, bulky, someone is always on your channel, and only half of them work half the time...

mac 'I could keep going' gyvr

more expensive, harder to tune, usually hard mounted in the vehicle, bulky, someone is always on your channel, and only half of them work half the time...

mac 'I could keep going' gyvr

Understand that! As a 2-way radio tech, I was just curious as to your specific reasons. I'm aware of the downfalls of CB.

Understand that! As a 2-way radio tech, I was just curious as to your specific reasons. I'm aware of the downfalls of CB.

no one ever actually set them up properly.

so you've got a full powered cb that only works for 15 feet because the swr is 9 billion.

the frs stuff is guaranteed performance.

And I just learned to spell cb. Now I have to learn three letters....

Just ordered another Baofeng UV-82... so I'll have 2 for future trips. $28.10 shipped on Amazon.

Back