• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25 limited slip disc??

Believer

NAXJA Forum User
I took my 1998, 8.25" differential apart Sunday due to a bad pinion bearing. I found a piece of a washer in the housing and on further investigation found that one of the limited slip steel discs (external spline, hooked to the carrier not the axle shaft) was broken. Jeep say's no replacement parts, and I have not been able to locate any aftermarket discs. I need help where to locate new parts or a good used one. I hate to but a $650 detroit when a ware part is all I need.

Thanks for any advice. I did search and was not able to come up with an answer.

Thanks
Kirk

Lock-Right 300 bucks

Last edited:
My understanding to install a Lockrite I would need an open carrier, which I don't have. I don't believe the LS carrier I have will work. Am I missing something??

I thought the rear Lock-right replaced the carrier... Hell i dont know. I have never fooled with the Chryco 8.25 as far as a locker... I got the Loc-rite for my D30. Ask Cal He'll know or any of the other guys with 4 million posts. I think i know the correct answer but i dont wanna be wrong and look stupid.

Just another option for you ... Powertrax No-Slip. This is available for the Chrysler 8.25 (I have it in mine and love it). It's stronger and quieter than the Lock-Rite, a little more $. I'm not sure about the "Open Carrier" question either though.

you can rebuild it, all you need are the trac-lok plates out of a dana 35, they are the same.....I have a rebuilt many of these.....d35's 8.25's, and d44's...you can get the disc kit for around 100 bucks, maybe less.

EDIT: I have a rebuilt 29 spline with new clutches and carrier bearings PM me and we'll see what we can work out

the clutch packs can be obtained from dealer IIRC. traclocks are a PITA to service and getting those thrust washers back in between the carrier and the spiders are a PITA too. I believe they even make a special took for that.

It is correct to assume that you would need an open carrier for a No Slip style lunchbox.

The washer that broke, was it the one closest to the bearing. Got same problem here now! Grrr.
Is the last one (most inner) meant to be dead flat, of slight concave ?

The washer that broke, was it the one closest to the bearing. Got same problem here now! Grrr.
Is the last one (most inner) meant to be dead flat, of slight concave ?

He hasn't posted here for 12yrs!!!

I'm not sure. But it looks like allegedly Dana Spicer makes a clutch kit that fits the 28, 35, 36, 44, and 8.25. doesn't mention spline count at all and the splines in the pictures look too large and coarse to go to the axleshafts anyways. Can anyone confirm that the clutches spline to the side gears and that those axles all use the same kit? I don't feel like tearing mine apart just to look at it.

Back