• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crushed upper coil mount

Luis

NAXJA Forum User
Hello,
Well, after a little trip through venezuela, brazil, and guiana I had a little incident regarding my upper coil mount. I came down a little hard with the XJ on the right wheel and the axle side bump stop crushed the upper coil mount into the car. Luckily the coil didnt fall off, though it looked like a half-circle. With a little help of the winch we straightened it out but now im concerned about the structural integrity of the mount. What comments or advice can you give me regarding the above? Is this a terrible incident, enough to consider selling the vehicle? Can I reinforce the mount with a support that bolts on to the unibody and goes to the coil mount?
ANY HELP is welcome!

thanks!

Luis.

It would require some talented fabrication, but I don't see why you couldn't make a reinforcement bracket to fit inside the engine bay that would attach down to the pseudo frame rails and add support above the upper coil mount area.

Do you have any pics? Also, is it just me, or do the jeepers who ride in South America jump their jeeps more often than us?!

Sorry no pics, and those i took of the straigthened mount dont look suspicious at all. Jump our jeeps, well... we have the yotas on our butts all day long so we someties give in to the peer preassure of doing thigs the yota drivers wont dare. Well, i dont want to sell my xj, so i'll try and fix the darned nount with a reinforcement fabrication of some sort, we'll see. My new axles are almost ready alo, and I didnt want to weld on the brackets unless i was certain id be keeping the xj. Well, thanks for the comments.

I don't really know much about those ACOS adj. spring mounts, but they look like they basically replace the coil spring mound completely. I'd look into a pair of those, they may have what you are looking for.

Jared

Back