• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

limited slip

cassio

NAXJA Forum User
well dont plan on spending the money for a locker on my 2wd daily driver
but i do want to do something about that open diferential

what are some good choices of limited slips?
how do they work?
who here uses them? like them?

thanks cassio

There are two types: clutches (the factory Trac-Lok, also available from Dana as aftermarket) and Auburn, and helical gear-driven (Tractech Truetrac).

The clutch type requires a special additive in the gear lube. The Trac-Lok is very smooth and hardly noticeable, but has a reputation as not being very aggressive. Some people also say it doesn't last very long, but my original lasted about 150,000 miles and I'm getting close to 100,000 on the replacement.

The Auburn is more agrressive, but is not user-rebuildable. Also more expensive.

The Truetrac locks up better when it locks up, and is slightly more noticeble on the street ... but nowhere near as noticeable as a locker. Being gear driven it does not require additives.

Not all types are available for both the Dana 35 and Mopar 8-1/4 axles.

i'd go with the truetrack.. my friend has it in the front of his tj and it works well

I have the auburn in the rear of my 98XJ, C8.25. It has been in over a year now and so far I am very happy with it. It was like ~$350 installed. Took a bit of getting used to and was interesting to drive this past winter, no more sliding around turns under power because it pushes you straight in 2wd, does the same thing when powering into a turn on a sandy/gravel/dirt patch at intersection, almost got two mailboxes in the first half hour I had it in there :laugh3:

My 94 is still runnig the factory Traclock, and it still as strong as can be expected. It actually works better than I thought it would. I also have 177,000 mile on it,and have not replaced it yet. Joe

i found the track lock really cheap. i guess its the cheapest??

now how well does it work?
if one wheel is freely spining will it shift the power to the other wheel??
how well?

I ran a trac loc for a couple of years. I replaced the clutch packs and I was pretty happy with the results on and off road. Most complaints come from people who use a worn out unit. If you have one, spend a couple of bucks and get a new set of clutches. I think you will be happy, especially if the price was right.

i know my friend with a trash lock put more of that additive and made a difference of night and day on his,,, always a possibility

I'm running a TrueTrac in the front and a D.Locker in the (44) rear. They've been working GREAT. The Detroit in the rear is not "noisy" at all like in my CJ. And the TrueTrac is "seamless" in it's transition. So far it's a great comb or me. However, if I had to start from over from scratch, I would opt for a front diff that could be switched from locked to open at will, but am OK with the Detroit Locker in the rear and see no need to have a "switch" to activate it open / locked. For those of you that live in snow country, the Detroit Locker in the rear may not be the best choice????

I just recently installed a Auburn limited slip in my 8.25 and it works excellent. I scored it on ebay new for 130.00:) It doesn't chatter, and the clutches seem to hold very well. If all you want is a step up from open diff, go for a trac-lock. Many times you can find them in parted out Laredo XJ's at the junkyard:)

FUNKYTEE5

I run a Detroit true track in the front and it's excellent. I run a dana track lock in the rear 8.25 and it's far from excellent (it's new too). I'm going to upgrade to a detroit soft locker soon or if I get talked out of it, an auburn LS. I don't think you can get a detroit true track for the 8.25 rear. I've been looking.

Im running a Alburn in my 8.25 and love it. As far as "not rebuildable", you just send it in to Alburn and for $65.00 they will rebuild it for you. I really put mine to the test last week at Moab and it did well.
O

Planetcat said:
I don't think you can get a detroit true track for the 8.25 rear. I've been looking.

I have the number for the true trac for the 8.25, but its only avalible for the 97 up 29 spline... 913A553...

I also have the True trac for the front and I am thinking of grabbing another one for the rear as well instead of my detroit locker. Also I agee the Auburn is one of the better LSD's out on the market that everyone looks past.

On another note my trac loc is 125k miles old and going strong in the d35...

I'm running a true trac in the rear. It is great. I went with the LSD in the rear as the XJ is a daily driver. The only time I have ever notivced it on the street is on ice. If you are heavy on the gas both tires will spin. Especially on a corner. But you can get that from any non-open diff.

With the open diff, even when my jeep had one wheel on pavemnet and one on grass. the wheell on the grass spun freely and the one on the pavement stayed unmoved.

will these lsd stop that?

cassio said:
With the open diff, even when my jeep had one wheel on pavemnet and one on grass. the wheell on the grass spun freely and the one on the pavement stayed unmoved.

will these lsd stop that?

it will help but it wont fully lock..

i know with dana track lock once "too much pressure" is places on the lsd it kinda jarrs, trying to engage and kicking out...

the lsd is supposed to provide 70% more traction than a open diff..

so the answer is yes and no...

it will help in tire off ground situations, but can give out in some situations when the preesure is too much for the lsd

rangerjoe2001 said:

i know with dana track lock once "too much pressure" is places on the lsd it kinda jarrs, trying to engage and kicking out...

it will help in tire off ground situations, but can give out in some situations when the preesure is too much for the lsd

In other words you won't be able to make your jeep do 'tricks' like standing the jeep up on a rock with one front and one rear tire off the ground, actually you can do that but it takes some thought and good rock placement :D

RichP said:
In other words you won't be able to make your jeep do 'tricks' like standing the jeep up on a rock with one front and one rear tire off the ground, actually you can do that but it takes some thought and good rock placement :D

im not too worried about doing tricks but it would be nice to take my 2wd more places!!!!

rangerjoe2001 said:

A limited slip in good condition will transfer roughly 30% (not 70) to the wheel with the least amount of traction. There are clutch packs in the diff next to the spider gears, which tend to keep both axles moving at the same rate. But, when the torque to the slipping wheel is more than the clutch packs can handle, then the low traction wheel will spin and the amount of torque it gets is the amount of resistance supplied from the clutch pack on that side......normally about 30% of the torque. In cornering situations, the clutch packs allow for some slippage so there is normal differentiation.

BTW, it isn't necessarily cheaper to install a limited slip than it is to install a locker. The issue is handling and performance characteristics, not price.

Back