• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mopar 8.75 questions

offroadman83

NAXJA Forum User
I was looking at 9 inch fords for my cherokee today since I have decided not to waste money on my 29 spline 8.25. Well I came across two 9 inch looking axles with the drop out center section. They were out of mopar cars and supposedly pretty beefy, and as much clearance as a dana 35!!!! I did some research and have found them to have 30 spline axles, great gear selection, great locker selection, and right width and bolt pattern. Is there any reason I shouldn't buy this over a 9 inch ford. It really seems to be a plenty beefy enough axle for the 35s I am running. Hopefully someone knows something about these--------Kyle

Mopar 8.75 axles are SUPER beefy stock, pretty much like a 9". When built right, they can handle a ton of beating. Make sure the cast centersection has a part number ending in 489, or 742. The weaker 741 casings dont have a really good aftermarket. I have one of these in my 62 dodge, car weighs 3850lbs without me in it, and runs 11.70s with wrinklewalls. No problems with the axle ever. My dad is running 10.80s in a '64 race hemi with an 8.75 also, no problems there either.
Dartrear.jpg

Well I can get the 8.75 for 50 bucks or a 9" ford with same width drums and same bolt pattern possibly from a galaxy for 100 bucks. I am just trying to figure out which one would be more cost effective to me.------kyle

You may not have the aftermarket support as readily avail. as the 9 inch ,you may have to look a little harder. These axles are well worth the money IMO. They came in just about any MOPAR you could find back in the late 60's early 70's. Just as gpsflyer said even with a HEMI. They have a higher pinion,decent size ring gear, and decent axles. And you can keep the same lug pattern ,5 on 4.5, if you are running the dana 30 upfront. Buy it ,search the web for gears and lockers , and if you don't find what you need, sell it to a street rod guy for more money.
Shapps

Hey Kyle when we go back there we may want to ask if they have any spare shafts to fit that axle so we dont have to search later. I know he had a pile of shafts out there that I figure we could get pretty cheap. Oh and make sure you leave at least one rear for me. Should be getting it soon. Im gonna be calling for help picking it up. Now what about gears? What you gonna go to now?

Even if I get the 9 inch I will run 4.88s----------Kyle

Hey no fair you found my secret jk its a great axle I'm getting ready to build one for my xj. I'm going a little farter since I'm going to a 44 front so i'm getting new alloyshafts with 5 on 5.5 made for it and since i'm doing that I'm going up to 35 spline since athe spools for 30 and 35 cost the same. the above info on the casting #s is dead on heres a link on info. as for after market support theres plenty out ther summit caries all the moser stuff for it like a realy cool weld on truss for $75 and just about everything else I'm droping 5.38 gears in mine so we'll see how it goes.the main thing you want to change is the axle bearing setup and go to what most call the green bearring setup that eliminates the preload adustment ont the axle shaft.
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=DCC-5249444
http://members.tripod.com/~Mojo_Page/chry875.htm

Back