• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

We,re under Attack...

Wayne Sihler

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Night before last ,a bear went thru the neighborhood and tried to get into our chicken house and then went onto my mothers deck and tore down two bird feeders. Not a real problem....just a passing thing.....

But last night bear was back (small about 75-100 lbs) any was trying to get into the chicken house again,it knocked down the prop holding the left door shut,we heard it and ran it off.
We removed all feed and secured the doors again...back again and it ripped the right door open-it was secured by dead bolts top & bottom,as well as a latch to the other door.
This time I screwed a board to the doors to hold them shut (mid-night ) a figured -no food ,no entry... Wrong 1/2 hour later back again and rips everything apart and got in to ransack the feed room area(food removed earlier) So screw it for the night..left everything open.. If it returns a hot lead application may be in order and then electric shock therpy....:farmer:

Your problem isn't that there's food in the shed, the problem is there WAS food in the shed. The bear can still smell the residual, and doesn't know it's no longer there. Further, it's already gotten one meal in the area. It'll keep coming back. 'Might see if your local animal control has a live-trap(doubtful, but possible)

Bear did not return last night,so food is removed and door was left partly open.Floor swept out,should be a one time thing I hope.

Still have to fix damage.....

Rub yourself with honey, fill your pockets with fresh blueberries, and tie a salmon fillet around your neck to lure the bear back into the forest. You'll have to run for several miles until the bear gets confused and can't find his pay back to your home the next day. Thankfully people are faster and can see better at night than bears, so I don't foresee any problems with my plan.

Rub yourself with honey, fill your pockets with fresh blueberries, and tie a salmon fillet around your neck to lure the bear back into the forest. You'll have to run for several miles until the bear gets confused and can't find his pay back to your home the next day. Thankfully people are faster and can see better at night than bears, so I don't foresee any problems with my plan.

Yeah,right,:)
The bears here know nothing of salmon or blueberries.....only bird feeders and garbage cans...

You need to wean your bears off birdseed and garbage; you can accomplish this by turning them into food snobs. Slather yourself in berries and salmon one day. Wear a vest made of finely sliced pork roast covered with a honey glaze the next. Smear yourself with Foie Gras on occasion, or perhaps you can run through the forest carrying some fava beans and a nice chianti.

Pretty soon your bears will be too good for birdseed and garbage.

Back