• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NSS clean/reinstall, now no 2nd gear and CEL

hxcjohnny

NAXJA Forum User
so i took my neutral safety switch off today to clean it. After reinstalling it, I go to check the jeep. My reverse lights works again, and the jeep starts in both neutral and Park like it should. The only problem is, now my Check engine light is on, and the jeep seems to skip 2nd gear when i drive it. If I put it down into first manually, it never shifts into second gear. Has anyone seen anything like this? Is it possible that my NSS isn't adjusted properly?

This is a 98 4.0 aw4, btw.

are you sure it's lined up properly? the 98 and up aw4s need the input from the nss to work properly, which is why you can't bypass them on the later jeeps.

I thought it was. I got my reverse lights back and it cranks in neutral and in park. I've never had the first transmission problem until today. It drove fine before cleaning the switch. All i can think of is its positioned wrong, but I dont really see how it would make it not shift into second.

What code(s) do you have for your Check Engine Light ?

There's a contact in the NSS for each gear. Possibly the third or fourth (drive) isn't making contact like it should, and the TCU thinks you've selected first, and without seeing a request for a higher gear, it won't even the the tranny go to second. I just rebuilt one for my '92, and I sat at my desk with a meter to make sure all the contacts inside made the proper connection. These trannys are funny in that they're just slaves to what the NSS, TPS, and the valve cable on the throttle tell them what to do. They seem to be completely externally controlled, unlike the Hydros, Turbo-Hydros and Powerglides I grew up with. Many Hydra-Matics did what they wanted to do, whether or not you were ready!

Do you have a factory service manual? I'd look up the specs for you but mine is a 95. The FSM will tell you which contacts in the NSS connector need to have continuity in each position of the gear selector. It will help you troubleshoot if the NSS is causing your problems.

Back