• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Drive Shaft U Joint

Black1990jeep

NAXJA Forum User
I want to replace my front drive shaft you joint, the one on the dana 30 front diff of my 1990 XJ. I see two Spicer brand U Joints listed...

5-1310-1x and 5-153x Both are greasable, which is what I prefer. what is the difference in them other than price $35 verses $10 respectively.

Are those the correct joints? Which is prefered?

Thanks!

The one I know of is the 1310, standard for a front driveshaft and rear driveshaft.

1310 is the size. 5-153x is the part # for Spicer.

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p3...1984_to_2001_jeep_xj_cherokee_compact_fr.html

https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/p3...x_1986_to_2001_jeep_xj_cherokee_compact_.html

The two links above show the two different joints, both Spicer, both same application. Grease fitting different location as seen in photographs.

Is there a difference in strength if they both fit?

Looks like the expensive U Joint 5-1310 can also be used on the double jointed cardan end of the drive shaft, were as the cheaper priced 5-153x should not be used there do to it's grease fitting location.

So strength wise, is one better than the other for the differential end of the front drive shaft?

1310x would be my choice, with fitting on the cap. I usually prefer the non greaseable joints as I think they last longer and have better seals and may have a slight increase in strength.

Most driveshafts use the 5-153 but you need to be aware of which way you face the grease fitting.

One thing about having the zerks on the caps is that they are easily broken off on rocks. They do make flush fittings but they still get damaged.

What are you going to do about the rest of the shaft(slip-yoke,centering ball, and the other 2 u-joints)?

The rest of the axle seems ok. the forawrdmost U joint refused to take grease on one of its four ends, ie no grease came out one of the four cap seals.

Just because grease didnt come out of one cap is no reason to change the joint. Drive it for a week and regrease if concerned.

Back