• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Winterfest 2012 was great, but...

My mag mount kept getting knocked off too. So I just crudely zip tied it to one of the cross bars on the roof, and it stayed put the rest of the weekend. I'm not sure I would like the FRS GRMS idea. FRS radio quality varies so wildly that I think it'd just be a PIA to try to use in a off road setting. Not to mention the amount of interference opertunities effected by them. GRMS works pretty decent, but alas you need a license to legally run one. Personally myself I would choose GRMS, over the FRS, but not all would be willing to want to pay for the license.

K40 mag mounts are about the best.

Yep, I ziptied mine to the cross bar, all it did was fall over, not off.

Wilson Lil' Wil. Took a low hanging (as in scraped the entire roof) branch to knock it over.

Mine was one of the CB's that was on the blink and trail led on Saturday. As was the case with someone else, mine was fine when I left home but developed an intermittent connection once there. I did fix the problem before the run on Saturday though so that shouldn't have been a problem.

The issue with CB's is that when they don't work it's hard to know if it is the sender or receiver that is the problem. I have tuned my antenna and some people say I come in loud and clear at very long ranges and others cannot hear me at 100 feet. You would think that as old of technology as CB's are they would have these issues resolved. The real problem is that CB technology really isn't great technology to begin with.

I'm 100% for FRS radios as they have none of the Tx/Rx issues of CB's. The only down side to FRS's is that with the handhelds you add the problems of forgetting to bring them, losing them, and having working batteries. On top of that a CB seems to be the first thing people buy when they plan to go wheeling.

As far as other changes to WF? Free camping was great. I can't think of anything that I would want changed. If NAXJA could provide me with better heat in the bus that would be nice. :) Great job as always.

B

Back