• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Requirements

I realize the MWC is the chapter the other chapter kinda follow and kinda wish they were as cool as us but it sounds like rules are being made just to make rules. I'm not trying to create any issues but that rule does not make since to me and I hate when people try to make stuff harder than what it needs to be.

I understand. I'm certainly not the rule-maker or authority on the issue, I just wanted to give my take on the merits of it and why I choose to insure my "trail only" vehicle. As far as liability-only coverage, they don't seem to care whether I hit my friend's car in his driveway (private property) or hit his Jeep at the Badlands (private property). If someone's Jeep rolls on the trail and crashes into mine, I would personally accept that as the risk of what we do. But then again I don't care that much. Some people may throw a fit and insist you compensate them. That's the real benefit to liability insurance, covering damage to other people and their property, not necessarily covering any damage to your own vehicle.

If you're talking comp/collision, I can see an insurance co. being picky about things like is it registered/streetable, is it in decent shape or already beat up, etc.

I'm certainly not saying you have to, and I'm sure plenty of people with trailered rigs don't carry insurance on them at all. Again, just explaining why I choose to do it. I think it's a worthwhile issue to bring up though, and perhaps there was an issue in the past and that's why it's in the rules now. Someone from the BOD can probably explain it better than I can. Given that the Badlands has it in their rules list at all (and other parks might as well), maybe we don't need it as a rule and can leave it up to the parks to enforce that.

Cliff's notes, I think it's a good idea to be insured, but I'll let the elected people choose to keep it or drop it and explain the reasoning.

Even though I'm not going I'll weigh in on the the insurance issue. I was required to drop my insurance on my rig by my ins. company. We explored many options with my agent but being what it is they would not insure it. I also can't pass a state inspection. So I just don't wheel the places that require that. It is their right to require people to carry insurance. This way it limits their exposure. I would not fault anybody for this. so without all of that I can't register it. I am required to certify that I have insurance when I register my vehicle in the state. I'm not willing to lie.

I will be exploring this option though.

http://www.stratumins.com/dunebuggy.htm

This is the first I have heard about badlands requiring insurance.....is this something that changed when they got bought? Mine is registered with the state as an ATV and I DO not have insurance on it.

• Legally required automobile insurance and registration;

Just like it says.....if your vehicle is not "legally required" to have insurance, then there you go, same for registration.

Of course.....I would urge EVERYONE to have some type of insurance should the unthinkable happen, but that is your choice.

During tech we do not check for insurance or registration, we concentrate on things that can result in damage or injury, or the prevention of, to others. Registration and insurance are YOUR responsibility, not ours, however, the rule states our position on it.

Rev

ok so what does this do exactly. i know absolutely nothing about cbs. i just know that it is a requirement so i got one ha

the swr meter adjust your antenna to your radio (cb), you will put out further and pick up further with a properly tuned antenna. you may also damage your radio if used w/o an antenna.

This is what I've done for my trail rig:

bought the cheapest small radio I could find (keep in mind that I have no roof or doors to keep the mud/H2O off my electronics), this makes replacing easier.

mount your radio in an easy to read/reach position, I removed my stereo and mounted my radio in that hole to protect the radio.

buy a mag mount antenna (like Josh mentioned somewhere), this will give you good ground (cuz the antenna needs ground to the vehicle, so DO NOT MOUNT AN ANTENNA TO YOUR 'GLASS HATCH should you buy a whip style antenna) and will also detach itself in the event you hit it on a branch or roll your rig down a hill 1 1/2 times, like I did.

plug and play.

you don't need 'big rig' abilities with your jeep radio, you 'might' need to talk to someone 1/4 mile away, most times you need to talk to the guy 75 feet ahead of you.

There is always a swr meter in the campground somewhere, it's quick and easy to test.

Fore 'radio means cb to us truckers' Wheeler

I know it was said that you do not check registration or insurance as that is our responsibility but for those of us that do not tag our jeeps is it ok what we run plate-less?

I guess I could always through a dealer plate on the jeep.

Flag question. Front, back, or does it matter?

Above the roof...

even if that means just above the roof.

mac 'otherwise doesn't matter' gyvr

Back