• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Electric Fan

ChipsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
What other trouble shooting can I do......or is it the ECM?

2001 XJ 2 WD

Electric fan runs constantly due to previous owner wiring in a relay by the fuse box.

When this relay is disconnected the electric fan stops.

With the extra relay disconnected - disconnect the coolant sensor connector the electric fan will come on.

The relay in the PDC has been replaced. The fuse in the PDC has been checked and is good.

I am thinking it might be the ECM but do not want to replace that unless I am sure.

I just do not know what else to replace.

The temp sensor on the back of the engine ha no bearing, right?

Here goes my first message ever on here lmao. Still trying to figure this site out.

Is it possible to ditch the relay and connect things back to original....?

Also that electric fan is triggered by the ac"SWITCH" turning on as well. so even if the ac is disconnected or just not working it doesnt affect the fan. it is only affected from the controls inside the cab, i learned this from my first 93 cherokee. hopefully this helps or makes sense.

Normal stock e-fan operation for 2000-01 is that e-fan runs only when called for by the ECM, based upon engine temperature, usually at about 218*. If the e-fan runs when the wire plug is disconnected from the Coolant Temperature Sensor on the thermostat housing, everything is likely functioning normally as originally designed. The 00-01 ECM does not cycle the e-fan on/off/on/off when the A/C is selected.

1997-2001 only have one temperature sensor, the one located on the thermostat housing.

It sounds like when the extra PO installed relay is disconnected, everything is functioning normally.

Last edited:
Back