• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4.7 stroker, whatchu got?

Russ definitely puts his best in every build, but you need pretty deep pockets! :D

His kits are pretty affordable. Its his labor that you have to pay for. ;)

There's no advantage.

Every 12 hole injector I have looked up has been intended for engines with 2 intake valves. The holes are angled to spray outward and not strait down, to spray into both valves.

On our 1 valve engines, it causes them to spray onto the valve seat and causes the fuel to bead up.

Not to mention they are 19 pound injectors too small for a stroker, and the commonly sold ones in the XJ groups appear to be knock offs and not legit Bosch.

Have any of you replaced the aw4 for a trans with a few more gears or is the aw4 enough? I know it'll handle it fime, I'm thinking of driving comfort(highway). Especially if your geared down.

There's a current project to mate the W5A580 from the 3.6 JK up to a 4.0, but no one has made it work yet.

I know a few people have done 700r4's (and there are kits for it) but there's no real gain to be had there.

One guy did successfully mate an AW4 up to a 6.0 LS in an XJ, but the trans didn't last very long.. :)

Have any of you replaced the aw4 for a trans with a few more gears or is the aw4 enough? I know it'll handle it fime, I'm thinking of driving comfort(highway). Especially if your geared down.

Not to many auto's for the 4.0, but you could do a NV3550.

Not sure what you meant by comfort but they originally took mine to a 100mph when it was on the dyno. I constantly run at 80mph before my tire balance starts to feel "off". What more are you looking for?

Not sure what you meant by comfort but they originally took mine to a 100mph when it was on the dyno. I constantly run at 80mph before my tire balance starts to feel "off". What more are you looking for?

Well about those speeds plus gears and your RPMs are up there. I kinda figured some might have opted to get a but more range with the added power. "Comfort" running 2000+ vs 80mph 3000rpm or such.
Is, y'all come up with all sorts of cool ideas. Figured it worth asking.

The cost of a 700r4 or 4l60 for just an extra .05 OD, personally, isn't there. Granted the lower first gear is cool but again cost and time is to great for what you get.

Now if you're doing an engine swap then it'd be in your best interest to do the trans too.

Well every year we plan a week somewhere with Ouray being one of my favorites. I tow my +3000# trailer with me everywhere I go without even slowing down on the hills.
P1010356_zpsdpty6h6a.jpg

Every 12 hole injector I have looked up has been intended for engines with 2 intake valves. The holes are angled to spray outward and not strait down, to spray into both valves.

On our 1 valve engines, it causes them to spray onto the valve seat and causes the fuel to bead up.

Not to mention they are 19 pound injectors too small for a stroker, and the commonly sold ones in the XJ groups appear to be knock offs and not legit Bosch.

Huh. Tried those multi-hole injectors on my XJ and both sets ran like crap part throttle. Esplains it.

Well about those speeds plus gears and your RPMs are up there. I kinda figured some might have opted to get a but more range with the added power. "Comfort" running 2000+ vs 80mph 3000rpm or such.
Is, y'all come up with all sorts of cool ideas. Figured it worth asking.

Even with just 33s and 4.56s (AKA, "over-geared"), 4th isn't terribly useful unless the road is completely flat. Any detectable grade and I need a downshift, which means even more noise. Last thing I want is an even longer 4th. Might be fine on an XJ without armor/frame beef, but on my pig...

If you look at my dyno runs you will see that I produce max torque around 2250rpm @ 63MPH, and my rpm's are about 2500rpm @ 70mph.
P1080525_zpstgxkklqg.jpg

P1080524_zpsw9vnphfj.jpg

I went with 4.10's and 33's as a test and find that I am way undergeared. If I were doing it over, I'd do 4.56 or 4.88, even with the high compression stroker.

I don't know that more overdrive would really help, but you could always run the renix era aw4 with an extra .05, bolt in up to 97 as long as you get the correct t-case too.

I'm an AW4 fan. They are pretty solid.

That said, my current build is getting an AX15.

I can't see that the new multi speed autos are going to offer much with the 4.0 (or 4.6) power characteristics. They are really meant for staying in the power for modern small, forced induction or high rev engines.

You guys made get on the phone with Russ for most of the day. We talked about the rest of the other 100hp that he built into my cylinder head. We discussed cams, roller cams, and higher ratio rockers, I'm leaning towards the rockers since everything else means a semi-teardown. The only issue I have is to keep it emissions compliant!

RCP, I talked to Russ last week, and I am still waiting for an e-mail from him on his kits! My fall-winter project plan is for a 4.7 for my XJ. It is a slow dog getting up in the mountains!

BTW - you guys have emissions out there Phoenix? I thought they were pretty liberal about that out there! I live here in the Peoples Republic of CA, where CARB is a total PITA -always scrutinizing every single change you make to your rig!

Back