• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Trail Aug 5th - 7th

EricsXJ

NAXJA Member #616
NAXJA Member
Back by popular demand, we will be having another Rubicon Trail run as part of our SierraFest this year. This run will be Monday (Aug 5th) through Wednesday (Aug 7th).

Who's in?

IN for sure!!!

what is the camping plan? I really enjoyed camping at buck island lake and rubicon springs. one night at each?

what is the camping plan? I really enjoyed camping at buck island lake and rubicon springs. one night at each?

We for sure will spend the first night at Buck Island Lake. After that its up to what you guys want to do. We can spend two nights at Buck and drive all the way out on Wednesday, or we can spend one night at Buck one night at the Springs. I have done both and see advantages to both.

Last time we did this was 2011 and we spent one extra day on the 'Con leaving on Thursday. That cut into the Deer Valley portion too much and many of us didn't get to do Slick Rock on Sunday (Sunday is typically just pack up and head home day)

Here is my write-up on that years trip
http://ericsxj.com/sf2011/sf2011.htm

Another option is to spend the extra day on the 'Con and then drive out and straight to DV after picking up supplies. In 2011 we spent a night in South Shore (Motel 8?) and for $25 or so for the room it was worth it. We all enjoyed a hot shower, pizza, and clean clothes after doing laundry. After sleeping in the next morning we picked up supplies and headed towards DV. I would like to do this again this year even if it means a day less on the 'Con.

Another option is to spend the extra day on the 'Con and then drive out and straight to DV after picking up supplies.

I kinda like this idea. on out last day last year, we drove from Rubicon springs to Bishop in one day. DV would have been about 5 hours closer.

In 2011 we spent a night in South Shore (Motel 8?) and for $25 or so for the room it was worth it. We all enjoyed a hot shower, pizza, and clean clothes after doing laundry. After sleeping in the next morning we picked up supplies and headed towards DV. I would like to do this again this year even if it means a day less on the 'Con.

this is a good idea too, especially for those not used to living in a tent for so many days. also gives you a chance to effect minor repairs on the rig (aka rebuild your rear brakes in the parking lot of oreilly :roflmao:)

Ill be there. So stoked!

I'm hoping to make this run again this year. Not fully committed yet and won't know for sure until probably a few weeks before.

This looks promising.

However I'm beginning to wonder if the Sierra Chapter is going to get out-numbered by other chapters for the Rubicon portion. So far I'm counting 2 from NWC and 3 from SoCal....

I'm trying to swing this with the wife but may not know until a few days before. July is a wicked busy month for us this year. Ill definitely make sierra fest but I'm pushing for both.

Back