• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cone filter & snorkel custom $6 airbox

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
hey yall,
i have been running the rustys K&N filter/airtube for about a year now and i like it. i picked up a snorkel from arb and i wanted to make it work with my cone filter. i didnt want to go back to the stock airbox,and i didnt want to spend a lot of money on one of those canister kits that ive seen for like $100. the snorkel cost enough as it was

so this is what i came up with. it took me about 20 mins to make it

1- utility knife (had it)
1- tube RTV (had it)
1- gallon tea pitcher ($3.99)
1-PCV fitting ($1.99)

here is how it went together

this is the pitcher
customairbox5.jpg

this is the pcv fitting after being threaded thru and RTVd
customairbox4.jpg

customairbox3.jpg

this is the cone filter with the lid of the pitcher fitted onto it (not RTVd yet)
customairbox2.jpg

this is the whole thing put together.
customairbox.jpg

all in all, it seems like it should work fairly well, i thought that it might be restrictive since the pitcher is barely bigger than the filter, but the jeep ran fine during the test trial. i might get a slightly smaller filter, to give more room inside the pitcher.

what do yall think?
-tim

ummmm, hope that doesn't melt into the pitcher.....that'd cause major oil suckage from the crank case vent line going into the intake air. I don't know about the whole lid area. Might leak pretty well from there unless you put rtv around the whole lid. Other than that, it should work fine.

I'd use a generous lubing a petroleum jelly or grease around the lid. Will seal it up, and make it easy to remove to service the filter element. Might want to look into some of your local pipe fitters, they may have some ig pipe scraps you could use. Sure would be a lot more durable than a pitcher.

now if you do get water in there you have an easy pour spout and you can choos to strain or let flow the water in it. the handle must make filter changes a breeze.

good use of supplys prob do its job but still registers a negative on the bling meter.:kissyou:

howdy

i think the set up was a little too restrictive, maybe if i had a smaller cone, it would work fine. but for now its back to the drawing board.

at least i can use it as a high flow beer bong, just put a 2 1/2 inch tube on the bottom :) :)

-tim

Back