• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Air intakes,which one

laredo

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking all over for a halfway decent air intake that won't empty my wallet.95% of the ones on ebay are crap.The ones that aren't don't fit my year (1989)Does anyone know any good ones?They have two on Xj-armor.com. One of them is like $30 more because it comes with a special electrical harness and manifold plug they claim adds power too.Is this worth it or is it a waste.Any info or recomendations would be appreciated.Thanks!

I would get the regular if you don't mined the vacuum line being left out on it's own. You can plug it or get the higher priced one for that to plug into. They are both great products. XJ-Armor is on the board. PM and ask which one is better. great guy to deal with. Juice

Stock box with a snorkel ;)

You can make one for about $20.00. Just go to Auto Zone and go to the exhaust pipe section. There you'll find a 3" dia. extention (it's about a foot and a half long). Next go to the rice burner isle and get the open element cone filter (comes in a multitude of colors). When you get home disconnect the breather tube from the air box and pull off the fresh air lines to the pcv (to connect the pcv line to the breather tube will take some imagination, but I cut a hole in the tube and inserted a fitting for the line). After fixin' the pcv you're gonna put the breather tube back on the throttle body at about 180 degrees from the original position (back across the valve cover). Then just measure and cut the 3" pipe so the air filter fits snuggly just on the other side of the valve cover. It's an easy job that nets great results and it only takes about 30 minutes (unless you paint the pipe). Sorry for no pics, but it's a great mod and it raises the water forging depth about a foot.

hintonsooner said:
You can make one for about $20.00. Just go to Auto Zone and go to the exhaust pipe section. There you'll find a 3" dia. extention (it's about a foot and a half long). Next go to the rice burner isle and get the open element cone filter (comes in a multitude of colors). When you get home disconnect the breather tube from the air box and pull off the fresh air lines to the pcv (to connect the pcv line to the breather tube will take some imagination, but I cut a hole in the tube and inserted a fitting for the line). After fixin' the pcv you're gonna put the breather tube back on the throttle body at about 180 degrees from the original position (back across the valve cover). Then just measure and cut the 3" pipe so the air filter fits snuggly just on the other side of the valve cover. It's an easy job that nets great results and it only takes about 30 minutes (unless you paint the pipe). Sorry for no pics, but it's a great mod and it raises the water forging depth about a foot.

Do you mean on the side of the distriburtor?

Ravi

Yes he does mean the pasenger side of the motor. Some kits do this since in thoery the air over there is cooler(I'm not saying its not I just have never measured the temp diffrenece. The only way you can do this is if you have An HO motor since the intake tube can be rotated any way you want where the renix intakes are stuck in the same position.
I don't know about the ons on ebay I've seen them on there but never even thought of buying one since ai make my own out of 3"stainless steel.I'd post a pic but I don't have a host for my pics. I have made amny of them for both HO and renix with the fittings for the PVC and a mounting sysytem so they just dont bounce around and normally I use a shielded fillter witch I willtry to post a pic if i can find one. I'm hopeing to start makeing my adapters to sell soon if there is enought interest but I need to get my web site up and running so I can show my work. I do intake systems for just about any cay in fact I'm doing a ram air system for my bigblock chevey truck and a dodge ram.

http://www.jmdracing.com/images/thumbs/Heat_Filter.jpg[/URL]
http://ebay0.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_af8601c1e18ad71a7f91f17020cfafbc/i-1.JPG
http://publish.hometown.aol.com/navooty/images/clearfilter.bmp

Last edited:
I use the stock box with a K&N and ARB snorkle. Works great for me, but the XJ-Armor air tubes are nice as well. There is a lot aftermarket for the HO intakes. But you could also look at HESCO. They make one for older XJ's as well. I had for awhile and switched after I got the snorkle. Look up HESCO on yahoo.com and you'll find them. The mount that they use for the throttle body could? work for the newer K&N FIPK for HO XJ's I just haven't tried it because I sold the whole thing. But was thinking about ordering just the base piece to try it. Just my .50 cents. Juice

Back