• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

road course, autocross, canyon carver. bought from god.

Elguapo

NAXJA Forum User
Alright. Grab a beer, popcorn, or some coffee for this one.

I have been hanging out and helping a buddy here and there with his ls1 e36 swapped m3. He has a couple boys that road race and I've gotten the itch as I've never run a full open track. I've run autocross and drag racing a bit. But road racing is intimidating from a financial perspective.

Goals and must haves.
Fun to drive, easy to work on, the cheaper the better on parts.
Manual transmission, 4 or 6 cil, budget of 5,500.

I've been reading and checking out cars for a few weeks now.
-Porsche 944. Rwd, 4 banger, nice examples around 4k. This was really my first choice from a drivers experience as the interior quality and seating position was amazing. However depending on the model a clutch takes 16-24 hours to swap. No thank you
-Bmw e30 6 cil, rwd, german quality. These are great cars, however these csrs are getting older and nice examples are fetching some loot. E36 beemers are nice too but I am scared of the maintenance as a diy guy.
-Honda crx, or newer civic hatch. Crx's were all riced up or high miles and clapped out. Ep3 drive amazing however an example with 170k was 4500
-Mazda miata. Drive great. Amazing sound, have owned one already. Drive a first gen and it just didn't do it for me this time around.

At this point I had decided on saving for a nicer ep3 civic si. I was looking at going over budget and I went to drive a car I've thought about but never seen my self in

2002 saturn sc2. DOHC, 5 speed, timing chain and damn easy to work on. Cheap parts to boot.
I texted a local asking 2200 obo. Offered 1500 on a limb and they said it would work.
Car belonged to a church. They have used the car for food drives and transporting people ( pretty sure the homeless )
I wanted to haggle more but cmon it was a church.
155k miles with a ton of maintenance records.
11lb wheels and race tires will be here on Wednesday. Track day on friday.
Check out this link if you think im nuts "best kept secret in road racing"
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/different-kind-race-car/
20140918_183622.jpg

kosei_k1ts_lg_ci3_l.jpg

Interesting....... never woulda guessed.

For me, lacks cool factor but any time you can get in a car to run road course.... the FUN factor prevails.

Sure, it's no super-cool raceTruck MJ........ but I have no doubt you're gonna have a blast.... :D

I'm totally with you Troy. Not a cool car, but it will be an effective track day car.
Blown struts and I kinda still wana go to the track Friday.
Polishing her now/rear seats are adios.

bet you got out of the DMV cheaper than i did this morning!!!

Puhleese...... You don't know DMV rape. That truck and Jeep of ours held me down while the DMV dry-scrogged me. Lol

Thank you for the offer. I am keeping this thing pretty cheap.
Struts, rotors/pads. Front strut tower brace and appropriate fluids and alignment
Thankfully I can keep my sammy. :)

Puhleese...... You don't know DMV rape. That truck and Jeep of ours held me down while the DMV dry-scrogged me. Lol

I'm never buying a new car again.
three times more expensive than my one ton to register

Wheels and tires are on. Yes 1.9l cool kid/ feels much better with more than 20lbs cut of rotating mass and race tires
Screenshot_2014-09-24-07-51-42.png

Re: Re: road course, autocross, canyon carver. bought from god.

Alright. Grab a beer, popcorn, or some coffee for this one.

I have been hanging out and helping a buddy here and there with his ls1 e36 swapped m3. He has a couple boys that road race and I've gotten the itch as I've never run a full open track. I've run autocross and drag racing a bit. But road racing is intimidating from a financial perspective.

Goals and must haves.
Fun to drive, easy to work on, the cheaper the better on parts.
Manual transmission, 4 or 6 cil, budget of 5,500.

I've been reading and checking out cars for a few weeks now.
-Porsche 944. Rwd, 4 banger, nice examples around 4k. This was really my first choice from a drivers experience as the interior quality and seating position was amazing. However depending on the model a clutch takes 16-24 hours to swap. No thank you
-Bmw e30 6 cil, rwd, german quality. These are great cars, however these csrs are getting older and nice examples are fetching some loot. E36 beemers are nice too but I am scared of the maintenance as a diy guy.
-Honda crx, or newer civic hatch. Crx's were all riced up or high miles and clapped out. Ep3 drive amazing however an example with 170k was 4500
-Mazda miata. Drive great. Amazing sound, have owned one already. Drive a first gen and it just didn't do it for me this time around.

At this point I had decided on saving for a nicer ep3 civic si. I was looking at going over budget and I went to drive a car I've thought about but never seen my self in

2002 saturn sc2. DOHC, 5 speed, timing chain and damn easy to work on. Cheap parts to boot.
I texted a local asking 2200 obo. Offered 1500 on a limb and they said it would work.
Car belonged to a church. They have used the car for food drives and transporting people ( pretty sure the homeless )
I wanted to haggle more but cmon it was a church.
155k miles with a ton of maintenance records.
11lb wheels and race tires will be here on Wednesday. Track day on friday.
Check out this link if you think im nuts "best kept secret in road racing"
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/different-kind-race-car/
20140918_183622.jpg

kosei_k1ts_lg_ci3_l.jpg
I have an e30 and it runs like a champ. It's easy to work on. I have it lowered about 1.5" in the front, 1" in the rear. I put light 15's and sticky tires on it. I run in the stx class. It has H&R coils, bilstein sports and an Eibach adjustable front sway bar. It's an auto but that can't be helped, I'm a cripple.

a0dfbdfefc4551ba51f7cec5476735be.jpg

Last edited:
Nice. I really like those e30s man. Great cars!
Track day went pretty well. Not many folks, you know porsches bmws vettes o and my tupperware. Hahahah
http://youtu.be/jMYDHyAzqyg
Got some high heat brake fluid and some tranny fluid from redline in last night before the open track day today.
20140925_200456.jpg

Screenshot_2014-09-26-09-57-34.png

Screenshot_2014-09-26-18-43-35.png

Screenshot_2014-09-26-18-43-28.png

I'm gonna get my MJ put together and come join you one of these days Anthony..... Too much fun!

What's left to square away on the truck?
Starting November it's 2 for 1days at $50 a person. Pffff I'm going to get to know pueblo

Well for one..... It's still 4x4. If I were to race it, I'd need to go through all the moving parts.

If swapped to 2wd, obviously the trans and front axle need put in, a shaft made for the rear.

Wanna ditch the OEM steering for some heims and rods.

I suspect the cat is getting plugged. Would want to put a high-flow cat and exhaust out the side ahead of the rear tire.

Ya know..... Easy stuff....lol

I would ditch the 4x4. The weight savings alone is worth the pain.
Let me know when you want a hand with it and I'll drop. Let's get you out here. 2 for 1 das in November at $50 at person at pmi! !

LOVE this........... right down to the dumbo ear mirrors!

39236834001_original.jpg

Serious builds....

autocross-chevy-c10.jpg

optima_ultimate_street_car_invitational_autocross_muscle_car_pro_touring_camaro_stielow_corvettte_mustang_c10_chevelle_truck113.jpg

Ratty auto crosser

1103clt_03_o+17th_southeastern_nationals+autocross.jpg

Last edited:
I'm gonna get my MJ put together and come join you one of these days Anthony..... Too much fun!

and im gonna be right there next to you in the camaro.....if i ever get the motor back in it

Back