• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Atl-atl's 08 Dodge Ram RCLB 2500 4x4 build thread

Atl-Atl

NAXJA Forum User
Well its been a while since I've been on here. So long that I fell out of red letter status, gonna have to get that going again. I sold my last XJ about a year and a half ago and I moved back to Colorado about six months ago. I just picked up this Ram last week and already started modding it. Until I buy another XJ or MJ I will be using this as my DD/work truck/trail rig/tow rig for my big turbo VW that's constantly under the knife. Id like to do some mild-ish wheeling with this since it should be pretty darn capable, at least on wide open trails! Anyone else planning to run some easier trails in the near future? Id love to tag along.

Truck is a 2008 Dodge Ram 2500, regular cab, long bed, 4x4, 5.7, auto, 1 owner with 152,000 and it came with full service records! It looks like it was owned by some sort of company/contractor that was onsite with the truck due to a hardwired power inverter, brake controller and fire extinguisher in the cab. Its a super stripper base model, manual everything and rubber floormats. The only option it has that I know of is cruise control. I love that these trucks still have a good old fashioned solid front axle, manual t-case and HUGE wheel wells. Guys are fitting 37s on these trucks completely 100% stock! My buddy threw me a set of lightly used Pro Comp Xtreme AT 35s so I had them mounted up right away. Eventually Ill get some nicer shocks, front sway disco and 37s but for now I love the truck as is.

When I bought it there was already a spacer leveling kit installed with some crappy white body aftermarket shocks. It also has a horrible plastic bedliner that is warping and will be replaced with Line-X and a low profile toolbox in the near future. I'm starting to put together my mod ideas and have started a list below. For now its pretty mild but in the week that I've owned it I have done some decent modding already.

Current mods:
  • Spacer leveling kit
  • Crappy white body shocks
  • Pro Comp Xtreme AT 35x12.50 17's
  • 3M 15% tint all around
  • Hardwired power inverter in the cab
  • Trailer brake controller
  • Fire extinguisher

Future mods:
  • Fancy remote resi shocks
  • Swaybar disconnects
  • Programmer for tire correction, better mpg etc.
  • Nav dash bezel and Nav head unit with backup camera
  • Power door locks conversion with keyless entry and alarm
  • Replace the cracked windshield and add tint strip along the top
  • Line-X
  • Low profile tool box
  • Some sort of black aluminum wheel with at least 37s if not bigger ;)

When I brought it home it looked like this.

10847939266_2d523e4671_b.jpg

Later that afternoon it looked like this.

10734500016_b2d582dc7c_b.jpg

A couple days later it looked like this.

10789647166_91013ea722_b.jpg

And today it looks like this.

10846082784_5393afd71c_b.jpg

Looking good :thumbup:

I had an 05' with almost the exact same setup as yours and I loved that truck so much - still regret selling it. The long bed really comes in handy if you get a tool box for it.

Just a word on maintenance: I'd check out the spark plugs on cyl 8 as nobody changes them because the coil pack is directly underneath the brake booster and theyre a PITA to get out. When I bought my truck the dealer assured me that the plugs were changed - and he was right; however they only changed 14 of them. By the time I got to them the cyl 8 plugs were so fouled they caused a misfire and my SES light came on causing the computer to limp the truck home on I25 - good times. lol

Looking good :thumbup:

I had an 05' with almost the exact same setup as yours and I loved that truck so much - still regret selling it. The long bed really comes in handy if you get a tool box for it.

Just a word on maintenance: I'd check out the spark plugs on cyl 8 as nobody changes them because the coil pack is directly underneath the brake booster and theyre a PITA to get out. When I bought my truck the dealer assured me that the plugs were changed - and he was right; however they only changed 14 of them. By the time I got to them the cyl 8 plugs were so fouled they caused a misfire and my SES light came on causing the computer to limp the truck home on I25 - good times. lol

Thanks for the compliment and the tip about the plugs! Ill definitely be giving it a routine maintenance once over soon.

Back