• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231 reman, new, used ahhhh

NAXJA Forum User
We have the trans and tcase out of the donor rig...99 XJ.

When I bought the rig the tcase linkage was not attached but for $400 for a running rig that had axles and trans and tcase it was worth it. I drove it and in 2wd it was quiet. Now it's.out and on the bench and in 2wd when I spin the front yoke I hear clack....clack about every 1/2-3/4 of a turn. When I put it in 4wd (high or low) the front output slips.
So I'm thinking about just buying one instead of pulling it apart to see what's wrong and end up spending as much or more to rebuild it.
What's everyone's opinions on new/remand.and where would you buy from?

So it's quiet LOL. Bueller?
Putting in new chain, mode fork, and new case back half.

Should all be going in Cal's Jeep next weekend.

Pulling one from a junkyard is always an option.

I think I'm going to part my Jeep, but the t-case is one piece I was going to keep. Sorry.
Anything else you need (motor/tranny) let me know.

I may wait to part it until the divorce is final and it is in my name. Don't want to fight over parts sale proceeds!

I think I'm going to part my Jeep, but the t-case is one piece I was going to keep. Sorry.
Anything else you need (motor/tranny) let me know.

I may wait to part it until the divorce is final and it is in my name. Don't want to fight over parts sale proceeds!
Thanks Dirk. The tcase is really all we have to "fix". And then of course the fun of wiring the 99 trans to work in the 93 Jeep.

And I thought about a used one but that's a crap shoot unless I knew who was selling and trusted they checked it out. I don't want to spend 2-3 hours at a upullit to get another bad case.

Sounds like a stretched chain. If you ever need internal pars. Front output or whatever I have a couple broken parts 231's on the shelves. IIRC the wire loom can be removed and replaced. have to drop the pan to do so.

I'd follow Ghost and Lowrange2's recommendation and just grab a used one. If it's already out, you should be able to spin it and see if there are any funny noises or binding as you shift through the ranges.

So it's quiet LOL. Bueller?
Putting in new chain, mode fork, and new case back half.

Should all be going in Cal's Jeep next weekend.

Found horribly stretched chain, worn mode fork and cracked back half of case. Will replace all that and should be good.

Back