• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1 ton regrets

I think my biggest fear is that by the time I add tons and tires and I will really start to hate the 4.0. A new jeep is not in the cards and I already have plated the frame etc and I have a bender so I have no chassis concerns.
The 4.0 is already a dog and I struggle on some muddy hill climbs. I guess
I am just wondering if any 1 ton XJ guys miss their 1/4 ton setup and why.
Maybe its just a case of learning to put the wrenches down and just go wheeling. I seem to average 10 nights in the garage for every day on the trail...

i'm gonna leave mine on a rolled in glitter dana 30 and a chromo'd 31 spline 9" and run my 37's. after hanging with guys on 40's i'd go for a new platform. aka something I don't care if it gets bent up to hell.my xj is still pretty. just sold a front hp 44 that I had plans for. working on my flatty now. got a different style to wheel now I guess

I'm on TJ Rubicon D44s with 4340 shafts, not really worried about breaking anything with 35s and can go 37s if needed, didn't have to cut up the XJ to run them. The trails I don't feel comfortable running is because I'm trying to avoid excess body damage.

The reason I don't want to go higher with the XJ is because I like the enclosed cab for camping and winter wheeling. Going to 40s or a large axle with long wheelbase would mean moving the gas tank inside, cage, etc., at which point it would no longer be usable for the stuff I enjoy doing with it. I'm looking for a cheap YJ project to do tons and 40s, I'll tow that to the trails in the summer, don't care about the body

Going to 40s or a large axle with long wheelbase would mean moving the gas tank inside, cage, etc., at which point it would no longer be usable for the stuff I enjoy doing with it.

I'm running a trussed 14 bolt in the rear and I have plenty of room between the axle and the gas tank skid, why would you have to move the tank?

To stretch it to clear the wheel wells

It’s no doubt the wheel wells need opening, but an inch or two of stretch would be acceptable. I “stretched” my rear with 37s an inch and a half and still have clearance between the diff and the tank.

It is also possible to move the gas tank further back an inch or two between the frame rails IIRC. A lot of work for a little gain to most.

My goals are similar to yours. I enjoy the closed cab for packing my Jeep and hitting the road. I can’t justify having a wrangler on tons/trailer queen yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back