• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project "Old Man Maroon"

need-a-bow

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Out at the 2018 Moab trip, I found yet another crack on the frame of my blue Jeep. It was finally bad enough that I decided I needed a new body to swap over. Only problem is, I blew most of the jeep budget on gas, emergency spare tire, and overall terrible budgeting skills when it comes to trip spending habits.

fast forward around 10 days and about 30hrs of unplanned O.T., I had some extra cash and saw a straightforward post saying "Buy my 2000 Cherokee Sport". A few PMs and emails were exchanged, and I was off to Madison to buy another headache with my friend Rose. Steve(WI88XJ) tossed us the keys and after about 15 minutes of spinning around his neighborhood, we agreed on a price too good too pass up, shook hands and agreed to see each other again at WF. This was his wife's daily, so there was obviously some attachment and they were happy to see it stay in the MWC family.

On our way home, we stopped for lunch, after which we found about quart of oil under the Jeep. I knew of this issue beforehand but DAMN! I ordered a new oil pan while driving it home, along with a new gasket RMS. Also on the drive home I found the front speakers dont really work too well, as in wires were gone due to door wiring harness. I made myself a mental list of stuff that needed addressing.

A few days later, I had a new Rear Main seal, oil pan, gasket and tube of anaerobic sealant. After a bloody battle with the front axle, I had everything disconnected and dropped the pan. The rear main seal didnt seem to leak, but I was there and why not? I popped off the girdle, rear bearing cap and everything looked good. And then, I realized Id ordered the wrong seal. Aside from changing the head casting on the 2000 and newer jeeps, they also changed the rear main seal design. I ended up having to wait til the next day to button everything up. However, now I park with ZERO fluids puddles.

Its been my daily since then, although it did throw a CEL, which turned out to be an O2 sensor. I took the time to chase down a bad ground on head light which turned out to be a frayed wire on the headlight plug. $3 later autozone had me in good shape and I now have decent lighting up front, but I'll soon be playing with chinesium LEDs to see if I can find some with a decent cut off. Also fixed the door wiring with the speakers, I now have mediocre speakers on 3 corners(damaged a rear one being dumb). I had some Rockford 6.5 " speakers which did not fit, so Ill just be swapping over the speakers from my old jeep to this.

So as the jeep sits now, it only needs new U joints at the axle shafts, new brakes, and cleaning up the interior. Also, my exhaust suddenly developed a very nasty exhaust leak. After a couple of days I crawled under an found the hanger just before the cat had ripped off, leaving a decent hole. That will go to an exhaust shop tomorrow as I dont feel like making a new downpipe(2000 federal emission has a weird front pipe).

Things should start getting interesting after black friday, as I'll be buying most o the bits to get this jeep ready for the long arms, and finally burning some steel on the frame rails.

Also, after talkin with quite a few people, all the old people(like you bald MWC crowd) agreed the color looks great, all the young people agreed the color belongs on an old mans jeep. Its late and Im out of beer, so tomorrow I will add what the build plans are for this jeep.
75781665084b4f1e3fa2774417cc68c0.jpg
8bfd5644582378b6f2d295351fe821ed.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Old man maroon?!?

You young wippersnappers:)

Sounds like the pan got worse. It’s still a good vehicle. I and Connie hope you get a lot of use.

Here's the plan so far for the build so far:

AXLES

Front-HP Dana 30: This is coming out of my Blue XJ with 4.56 and an Eaton Locker, which worked awesome out at Moab, So I wont be messing with the guts aside from fresh gear lube. I still run stock 27 spline shafts, as Ive only broken 1 in half a dozen trips of hard wheeling and I have 3 or 4 full sets of spares. Only needs reworking of some brackets including the shock mounts and track bar mount.

Rear-FORD 8.8 31 Spline: This axle was regeared this summer to 4.56 and got a stock carrier along with an Aussie locker. Ive heard the stock carrier is a bit weak, but I've yet to hear of breakage issues with 33. Again, shouldnt need any love aside from new shock mounts. Possibly putting the shocks through the floor. Still running stock shafts as well.

SUSPENSION

Front: Iron Rock Offroad Rock Link 3-link coming off the blue jeep. the current set up seems to be a bit tall, so I think I will sell the JK coils Im currently running and try to get my hands son some shorter coils and ACOS. Currently have 14" travel shocks, and I will be adding limit straps so I dont lose a coil at full droop. As of now I am running an RE dual shear track bar along with a track bar, although may go with WJ steering or one ton OTK set up.

Rear: Currently trying to decide on what leaf springs i will be running, although will most likely get a new 5.5" RE leaf pack with no lift Shackle Relocation Brackets from HD offroad. Still undecided on leafs though. If only Deavers didnt cost more than I paid for the jeep. I will be adding shock towers to get more travel and move my shock mounts away from the bottom of my axle, as both studs are pretty beat up.

ARMOR

Stiffeners: Jeep will be getting a full set of wrap around stiffeners from IRO, along with a weld in steering box spacer for more bracing. Current jeep seem to be crumpling at the steering box.

Rock Sliders: Rocker panels will be cut out and replaced with 2X6 steel tubing. It will be getting bracing tied into the frame stiffeners, and Im looking into some skins to make them mini Boat sides.

Body armor: Front fender has a little rust, so it will be getting some sanding and primer, along with some full fender armor. Still unsure of brand, as they all seem to be more or less the same when it comes to front. It will probably come down to whatever is cheaper. As far as rear quarter panel armor, I will be buying integrated tail light box body armor, as broken tail lights seem to be a popular theme, even in Moab.

Bumpers: I will be building a new front bumper, similar to the one currently on my blue jeep but wider to accommodate the frame stiffeners. I will be reusing the rear bumper I currently have on my blue jeep as it ties into the frame about as much as possible. It may be getting a swing arm for a tire carrier, however I still cant find a hinge I am happy with. I plan on being able to remove the swing arm for certain trips.

TIRES/WHEELS

Tires: Currently shopping around, but will be moving away from the Dick Cepeks I currently have. Got it down between Baja MTZs, BFG KM3s or Falken Wildpeak MTs. This Jeep will still spend 90% of it's life on pavement, but our Midwest terrain just doesn't make an AT tire a feesable option. Whatever tire I go with, it will be in 33x12.5 or 33x10.5

Wheels: I'll keep my Trail Master 15x8 3.75 back spacing steel wheels, but I will be welding on, or rather be grinding off Rob's welds when he burns on a set of rock rings from Fire Fab.

Cage: this build will be getting a cage, however I'm still undecided on whether it will be a hybrid cage, as I have always wanted to make a removable top on a 2 Door XJ. However, that is still in the distant future.

looks like a great plan.

mac 'removable top has me intrigued' gyvr

Nothing interesting has happened with this rusty little treasure, but I did drive it down to Nashville and back without any issues aside from a spray nozzle that doesnt seem to want to spray the upper part of my windshield. I did get the rest of my stiffeners in for the jeep, so sparks may start flying soon.

I did walk out to a flat tire yesterday after work. Couldnt find any leaks, but may be picking up a set of 30s already mounted tonight including wheels. These will do for the near future. Hell, if I can swap over the suspension I may end up wheeling this puppy on 30s at WF.

Back