• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

About Me: Brian "Spawn 93" Thurston

Spawn 93

NAXJA Forum User
My name is Brian "Spawn 93" Thurston, and I would like your vote for SEC Vice President on the 15th.

About me: I'm 36, I am an EMT-B, I took an early retirement from the Army and Tennesee National Guard after 15 years of service and 3 tours in Iraq. I have 2 amazing children who have inherited my love of XJ's.

On the subject of my love for XJ's, I currently own 5 of them in various states of repair and use. I bought my first XJ, an 87 Pioneer, in 2005 and joined NAXJA soon after. I sought technical advice, found a few guys near me when I lived in Knoxville, and we went wheeling. Over 14 years, this XJ thing has become more of an obsession for me. I learn something new every time I turn a wrench on these things and I seem to love them even more.

Now let's get down to brass tacks. My mission as VP of the SEC is to continue our traditions and grow this entire Association for the future. I have many ideas to achieve this, from social media integration to addressing sustainability issues.

My name is Spawn 93, and I would like your vote for VP of the SEC when the polls open next week.

First off, thanks to you as well for running for the VP position. In addition to social media integration and sustainability, what other ideas to you have to further grow the chapter?

Thank you for the question. I apologize for my delayed response, I have worked 60 hours in the last 3 days.

One thing I feel this chapter needs is more trail rides and or meet and greet type events. I know we are spread out and life always takes precedence, but we can incorporate more local events and advertise them. I would also like to see the Fall Flog come back, and maybe a springtime event come to fruition. There are many parks that I would love to visit in the SEC, and I will make it my mission to bring in new faces to expand our member base and integrate them into our "core" group of longtime members.

Last edited:
Thank you for the question. I apologize for my delayed response, I have worked 60 hours in the last 3 days.

One thing I feel this chapter needs is more trail rides and or meet and greet type events. I know we are spread out and life always takes precedence, but we can incorporate more local events and advertise them. I would also like to see the Fall Flog come back, and maybe a springtime event come to fruition. There are many parks that I would love to visit in the SEC, and I will make it my mission to bring in new faces to expand our member base and integrate them into our "core" group of longtime members.

No worries!

Thanks for the response. I like the idea of bringing the flog back, and even potentially starting a spring event. I'll warn you though, it will be quite the challenge. For many folks, the Crawl is their big yearly vacation where most time off and monies go to. I'm guilty of this as well. It's probably the biggest reason the Flog has diminished over the years. The other reason being finding a centrally located place that isn't Harlan to attract a large group of people.

Good luck in the election!

Thanks Tim! I agree with your assessment, as has been the consensus from folks I have talked to about it at the last couple Crawls. I will open up a dialogue with the other members of the Chapter BOD to glean suggestions for solutions.

I have experience obtaining donations for local community health outreach programs. I also participate in the "Fill the Boot" and other such programs with the local city fire department. While these may not be in the same realm, I have no issue asking for donations.

Back