• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Diagnosing help!

cyberbackpacker

NAXJA Forum User
Lately I have been hearing a strange noise coming from what seems to be the rear of the vehicle. It is seeming difficult to pinpoint when I am driving.

I dont want to call it a grinding, but it is kind of a tugging noise, or a rubbing noise like a tire would make on the lca's (I refer to this because this is a noise I know well).

I jacked the rear up, and spun the wheels. No play in them, but the passenger side one did seem to make some sort of noise I cannot describe, but if had too would say was kind of like a dragging noise.

With these symptoms I loosened the parking brake cable, thinking I may have adjusted it too tight (had readjusted it because wasn't catching on steep inclines). Also checked the rear diff fluid, and it is all good.

However, after loosening the park brake, still same noises.

I tend to hear the noise in my lower gears, first and second. I do not seem to notice it from third up. I tend to hear the noise when starting out in first, or after shifting into second. Once the rig is moving a bit, I cannot seem to really hear it anymore.

Any ideas of what I should check/do? I am just assuming that the noise I am hearing are not good, and want to get them taken care of.

Thanks for any/all suggestions.

I,ve had that happen on both my XJ and my Subaru Forester. Sort of a scritching dragging sound. It was rust build up on the drum where it mates up with the backing plate.

Mine does something like that, a rubbing scratchy sound at low speeds (just after starting moving). It is a rear brake shoe dragging a bit, since I manually adjusted the rear brakes to make up for the lousy self-adjusters. The drum does not get hot, so the drag isn't serious. I'm not worried about it.

Back