• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who wants to run Dusy?

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
It looks like we might cancel the NAXJA CO event this summer because of the uncertainty of trails being open with the dry conditions and the fires. I brought up that we could do something in the Sierra's for those of us in the West that would still like to use that week for a vacation. One thought is to run the Dusy trail that week, plus a couple of other trails in to some of the great lakes in the area.

Who would be interested in running Dusy around 7-31 to 8-4? Who would be interested in being in the area for the whole week? There are some real nice lakes in that area that we could wheel into with very pretty campsites, then spend four or five days on the Dusy.

The Dusy-Ershim Trail is in the Shaver Lake area, and is a 33 mile long 600 ft corridor between the John Muir Wilderness and Dinkey Lakes Wilderness, running from Courtright resevoir to Kaiser Pass. It's long, rough, and beautiful. The first part of the trail runs along the east side of Courtright resevoir, then it climbs the infamous Thompson Hill and pretty much stays around 10,000' elevation for the rest of the trail.

This trail is a good one, and along with the Rubicon should be on everyone's "to do" list. :D

Richard G

You know you can count on me being there! Dusy is one of the trails I've been wanting to do. Heck, I'd even stay around for the week. :D

Jes

[i:4dcdde0000]IF[/i:4dcdde0000] the CO event is canx, I'll be in Carson City a lot sooner than planned, prob around the 21st or 22nd.
[i:4dcdde0000]IF[/i:4dcdde0000] you think my XJ can do the Dusy trail with minimal body damage, I'd love to join in. I'm @ 3", 31's, rockrails, t-case & fueltank skids and rear NoSlip with 3:55's. (I've seen the Rick Russell video).
Couple of big IF's there :shock:

Hmmmmm......

......we'll check the calendar....would love to join everyone.

Richard, are we doing some kind of minimum requirements?

Probably 31's and one locker or two good Limited Slips?

CRASH

I'm in! I'd like to do the whole week if possible. Maybe do the Rubicon after Dusy? I'm open to suggestions if there's another interesting trail in the area.

Min Requirements: rear 1/4 panels MUST be dented! Andy should have no problems qualifing there. We will gladlly help modify any vehicle which does not qualify.

Anybody that wants......

.....to do a a combo Dusy/ Rubi run, I could join up for the 'Con portion. That week looks kinda tough for me, and i know wifey is saving her vacation for Hawaii in January......

CRASH

Dusy can be done with 3" and 31's, but it would be a challenge. I'm not into rock stacking on those trails, so you'd need a strap now and then, and be willing to take some body damage.

The CO event is officially cancelled. We're talking about some of us still getting together to run some trails informally. Grant suggested running Mount Blanca, Iron Chest, and Holy Cross, which would be fun. I'll have to make up my mind what I want to do, and I guess it depends on how much interest there is in either trip.

I haven't done Dusy for three years, but I've never been to CO. We'll keep talking and see what happens.

Richard G

Dusy

I might be interested if the invite is open to people from other states who don't cruise NAXJA too often. I was just down there and wanted to go wheeling with somebody, but couldn't find anybody to show me around. Bonus for me is that my parents live up in Auberry, so I'll have a base camp. Now getting back to the "I might be interested" part, my wife is due with our second right around the same time. I'll just have wait and see. Oh well!!
Thanks,
Dan (91XJ)

I guess I'll have to pass on Dusy; deliberate body damage doesn't appeal to me. Since the XJ is my only vehicle other than the motorhome, I'll stick to trails where body damage [i:431ce2305c]might[/i:431ce2305c] occur rather than ones where it [i:431ce2305c][b:431ce2305c]will[/i:431ce2305c][/b:431ce2305c] occur. OTOH, since I'll be passing thru CO anyhow & already have reservations at Taylor Creek CG, the idea of some informal CO wheeling sounds great to me. I'll be watching the forums for the next two weeks for updates. I leave July 8th for Tellico & points west & internet access will be hit or miss after that.

Richard,
That could definately be doable. It is a couple of weeks after Swamp Lake and that part of the country sure is BEAUTIFUL!!! :D :D

Curtis M.
Ridgecrest, CA

Come on folks, help talk me into this. Aside from having a baby, I think I can do this. My only downfall is my 260 axle u-joints, lack of winch, amd recovery equipment. I am locked front and rear, 4:56 gears, D44, 8" of lift, and 33's. I think I can, I think I can. :D
Thanks,
Dan.

You'll be fine, just bring some spare front shafts. Everyone should carry those anyway (well, except Goat and I, we're known to be VERY easy on equipment).

Come awn down. Are you really truckin' down from WA?

CRASH

If Richard, Andy, and Everyone else can spot me over every pebble , then we can throw you a rope every now and then. Seriously, it really sounds like you are set. The 260's are a bit weak for 33's, but you just might pull it off. Spares are key, as I don't think any of us will be carring spare 260 stuff. I know that upgrading to 297's (now 5-760's) can be expensive, but have you checked with a u-pull-it yard for axle shafts and maybe unitized bearings?

I ran the whole Best of the West trip with 260s and they're still alive. I carry a set of 297 shafts for spares though.

Jes

Yeah, all the way down from WA.
I think at this point it's going to have depend on the delivery of "Baby #2". Moma says she isn't going to make it to the due date. Late July.

I surfed the web and found this trail even before I came down 2 weeks ago. I was able to stop in at the forest service in Prather and get some info on the Dusy and other local designated trails. I also picked up a Sierra Nat. Forest map just to look over and wonder. At this point I am trying to make it. :D I'll have to wait and see.
Thanks,
Dan.

Well, it's a tough call between a relaxing week in the Sierra National Forest, or driving all the way to CO, but I think I'm going to stick with the plans to go to CO. I've never wheeled in CO, and I don't want to miss the chance. I won't be able to make a trip there next year, so I better do it this year while I have the chance. Even though the official NAXJA CO event has been cancelled due to the uncertainty of the situation, a good group of us still want to go.

If there is interest in an XJ Dusy run, you guys should go for it. If something happens to the CO plans, I'll probably join you.

Richard G

Dusy

I am officially bowing out. :(
Some local folks up here are planning a trip to Moab in Sept. that would probably be better for me time wise. New baby and all. If you go, have fun and play safe.
Thanks,
Dan (91XJ)

Back