• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

6.5" speaker mounting depth

Vince

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
My audio system in my 2001 is overdue for replacement and repairs. I will be changing the head unit, wiring and speakers. I would like to use 6.5" speakers, particularly in the doors. I would like to mount them in the OEM location behind the original door cards. What is a safe mounting depth for a 6.5" speaker without causing problems for the window?

Crutchfield's website is very helpful for identifying compatible speakers for front door and rear headliner. I checked a few dimensions of speakers they list as compatible and from the small sample I looked at, speakers under 2" mounting depth are OK in the doors, under 2-7/16" is OK in the rear headliner.

I guess measuring on the Jeep is best for an accurate maximum depth but I wanted to save time ordering parts without having to first remove what's in there and measure the cavities.

Crutchfield lists these as OK in both doors and headliner on my 2001.
Kicker 46CSC654 has a mounting depth of 1-11/16" (43mm)
Kicker 43DSC650 has a mounting depth of 1-13/16" (46mm)
Kenwood KFC-1696PS has a mounting depth of 1-15/16" (49mm)

Crutchfield lists these as unsuitable for front doors, but OK for rear headliner.
JVC CS-DR601C has a mounting depth of 2-1/4" (57mm)
JL Audio C2-600 has a mounting depth of 2-7/16" (62mm)

I was considering similar Kenwoods but 16cm 6.5" speakers are very hard to find over here in the UK. The 17cm versions are marketed as 6.5" but I think they may be too big.

Good speakers are a waste in my Jeep because of cabin noise. I have found a few candidates to choose from locally that cost around $50 a pair. I just need to find a shop that has a demo setup that I can listen to for comparisons before I decide on which to buy.

You can put slightly larger speakers in there.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back