• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Kids Trail Ride SEPT 12

Much as I would have liked to come out, got too many things backlogged to do around the house (over the pool, replace the hose in the kitchen faucet, etc.).

Rich, is it the JK that's having the problem or the WJ?

Jk. The early pentastars have an issue with the oil galleys being bored too small in the left (2/4/6) head. Leads to premature valve and cam wear.
Thankfully, chrysler did extend warranty on them, so that and the fact that Carol (smartly) lumped in an extra extended warranty when she bought it, means it is covered. Just a PITA since she'll have to deal with a rental for perhaps a week or more, and let's face it, I dont exactly have the greatest of confidence that the dealership service is going to take their time to make sure its properly done for the long haul. That said, it doesn't inspire confidence that anything would need a head replacement at below 50k. I know the pentastar is a good engine overall, but realistically thats a major repair that if done wrong, will come back to haunt you down the road.
Rich

I don't have the wj fully sorted out yet, it got put on the back burner for a bit. No point in it during covid when I couldn't swap the title with nj dmv shut down.
I have some more to do (water pump, brake bleed, perhaps some other small items), but one thing is for sure, that rig has one very strong running 4.0 in it.

Yeah, definitely good call on the warranty. Is the fix to bore out the galleys, or just slap an updated head on that bank?

Yeah, that sounds safer than letting them "fix" the existing heads...

Yeah, it just really stinks to have to watch a dealer mechanic replace a head on a vehicle with 60k on it. Considering Carol plans on keeping this a long time, it makes one nervous.

Completely understandable. I wasn't thrilled with having to have a transmission replaced on my VW at 68K either. That was just outside the 60K warranty so VW Corp. literally (but not in exactly those words) said "kiss off" when I complained that a transmission grinding its reverse gears into chunks at that low a mileage implies a design defect.

All we can do is keep our fingers crossed that they get it right (if not, make sure it gets caught before whatever warranty you get on this recall work so they can un-fubar it on their nickel)...

Back