• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pre-runner type suspension stuff

Funny that this thread is still floating around, after what, 8 years? Look where we've come. :)

save your money up and do it right the first time ;)

let me qoute this one more time for effect. Ask anyone who is into go fast and has rebuilt their entire rig and wheels and tires $$$$$$$$$$$$ 4 times to get where they are and they will all say the same thing. save your cash and figure out where you want to end up and go there first.

Front Independent Cherokee 97 with 2JZ Turbo.

This is the 1st Jeep Cherokee (1997) in Indonesia, utilizing DOUBLE WISHBONE Front A-ARM dan 2JZ Engine for Offroad Racing in Jakarta, INDONESIA.

img_9304-jpg.139828

Bumping an old thread because I've been reading quite a bit and not finding what I'm looking for (but this is as close as I've come)

Summary of notes to date (having just read this entire thread).

-275/78 front and 255/70 rear is a common recommendation for damping on all around rigs that both crawl and like to go fast on occasion. Some guys like 360/80 front but this is getting damn firm. Bilstein’s guide can recommend either. https://www.my4by.com/bilstein-valving-guide

-Best practice is to flex test before committing to shock lengths… That said, at about 6” lift (reasonable for going faster) 12” travel fronts and 10” travel rears are common

-Many of the better shocks will require converting to a 1/2” eye style top mount. TandJ makes a nice conversion. JKS has an OK one but they sometimes loosen up so TandJ (or custom fab) seems like best practice.

-Lower front shock mount relocation is common too: typically a drop moving the lower mount point outboard of the lower control arm pockets

-7100 Short Bodies seem like the "go to" at high end of the low end. I don’t much like how the reservoir hose on the 7100s exit the shock (rigid, pointing up and out). The 5160s (direct fit) or 5165 seems like a better option if one prefers to have the reservoir mounted to the shock body. Compare the orientation of the hoses.

BILSTEIN71002.jpg

Bilstein%205160%20Generic4.jpg

-I can’t tell you why sometimes the 7100s have a blue rubber hose and sometime a SS hose.

-There’s a slight challenge that the Bilstein catalog (https://cart.bilsteinus.com/Portals/0/PDF/BILSTEINORCatalog2020_WEB.pdf) doesn’t publish either lengths or damping for their direct fit stuff. Eshocks.com appears to be gone. So if anyone knows of a searchable resource that might be handy.

-It appears that the 5165s can be custom valved but they only come with 255/70 and 360/80 by default. Unfortunately, that seems to skip over the more common valving recommendation at 275/78. More notes on valving 7100s here: https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=994685

-Front spring rates in the 230 to 240 lbs/in are popular (Skyjacker, BDS, maybe Deaver). In the rear, everyone just calls Deaver.

Questions

-Are the stem style shock tops inherently limiting? I’ve blow up several sets of shock bushings which is annoying but not that expensive all things considered.

-Several folks allude to failures of the rear shock upper mounting within the thread. Anyone have pictures of where how it fails? My rig sees quite a bit of daily driving as well so I need to keep the shocks outside (not cutting body for towers) but I’d love to find a way to reinforce the original mount.

-I’m running Bilstein 5100s in the back of my rig now and the bushings are cracked. Is this a systemic issue with Bilsteins?

-Stupid question, but do 5100s have a top and bottom? I’ve seen them installed both ways.

-If someone were willing to spend some coin beyond 7100 SBs, what's the next step up? I can find some guys talking about 2.5 class shocks but little info on more specific recommendations. I’m not sure I really need it but I’d like to know. I've been running some longer trail rides and I keep blowing up my top shock bushings so I'm thinking it time to go a notch more serious, the question is how serious?

2.5 class shocks seems like they start around $400 per. One weird bit is that it seems like King or Fox smooth body 2.5s come in notably longer body lengths for a given travel. Compare:
---King 10" smooth body (KRS-PR2510-SSPB) is 18.3" collapsed length
---Bilstein 7100 SB (AK7110SB) is 14.3" collapsed length

-King and Fox seems to rate their damping based on shim stacks. IE “10/12” damping would be a tapering shim stack with 0.010” shims on rebound and 0.012” shims on compression. (https://www.crawlpedia.com/shock_tuning.htm). Bilstein’s ratings are Newtons of resistance 255 = 2550 compression but I don’t know at what speed. Anyone know how to make comparisons between the two rating styles?

Anyways, good resources like this thread are why I love the forums, so I'm hoping some folks can help me out (while in turn I hope the clarifications help others.)

Regards,
-Joel

Bumping an old thread because I've been reading quite a bit and not finding what I'm looking for (but this is as close as I've come)

Summary of notes to date (having just read this entire thread).

-275/78 front and 255/70 rear is a common recommendation for damping on all around rigs that both crawl and like to go fast on occasion. Some guys like 360/80 front but this is getting damn firm. Bilstein’s guide can recommend either. https://www.my4by.com/bilstein-valving-guide

-Best practice is to flex test before committing to shock lengths… That said, at about 6” lift (reasonable for going faster) 12” travel fronts and 10” travel rears are common

-Many of the better shocks will require converting to a 1/2” eye style top mount. TandJ makes a nice conversion. JKS has an OK one but they sometimes loosen up so TandJ (or custom fab) seems like best practice.

-Lower front shock mount relocation is common too: typically a drop moving the lower mount point outboard of the lower control arm pockets

-7100 Short Bodies seem like the "go to" at high end of the low end. I don’t much like how the reservoir hose on the 7100s exit the shock (rigid, pointing up and out). The 5160s (direct fit) or 5165 seems like a better option if one prefers to have the reservoir mounted to the shock body. Compare the orientation of the hoses.

BILSTEIN71002.jpg

Bilstein%205160%20Generic4.jpg

-I can’t tell you why sometimes the 7100s have a blue rubber hose and sometime a SS hose.

-There’s a slight challenge that the Bilstein catalog (https://cart.bilsteinus.com/Portals/0/PDF/BILSTEINORCatalog2020_WEB.pdf) doesn’t publish either lengths or damping for their direct fit stuff. Eshocks.com appears to be gone. So if anyone knows of a searchable resource that might be handy.

-It appears that the 5165s can be custom valved but they only come with 255/70 and 360/80 by default. Unfortunately, that seems to skip over the more common valving recommendation at 275/78. More notes on valving 7100s here: https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=994685

-Front spring rates in the 230 to 240 lbs/in are popular (Skyjacker, BDS, maybe Deaver). In the rear, everyone just calls Deaver.

Questions

-Are the stem style shock tops inherently limiting? I’ve blow up several sets of shock bushings which is annoying but not that expensive all things considered.

-Several folks allude to failures of the rear shock upper mounting within the thread. Anyone have pictures of where how it fails? My rig sees quite a bit of daily driving as well so I need to keep the shocks outside (not cutting body for towers) but I’d love to find a way to reinforce the original mount.

-I’m running Bilstein 5100s in the back of my rig now and the bushings are cracked. Is this a systemic issue with Bilsteins?

-Stupid question, but do 5100s have a top and bottom? I’ve seen them installed both ways.

-If someone were willing to spend some coin beyond 7100 SBs, what's the next step up? I can find some guys talking about 2.5 class shocks but little info on more specific recommendations. I’m not sure I really need it but I’d like to know. I've been running some longer trail rides and I keep blowing up my top shock bushings so I'm thinking it time to go a notch more serious, the question is how serious?

2.5 class shocks seems like they start around $400 per. One weird bit is that it seems like King or Fox smooth body 2.5s come in notably longer body lengths for a given travel. Compare:
---King 10" smooth body (KRS-PR2510-SSPB) is 18.3" collapsed length
---Bilstein 7100 SB (AK7110SB) is 14.3" collapsed length

-King and Fox seems to rate their damping based on shim stacks. IE “10/12” damping would be a tapering shim stack with 0.010” shims on rebound and 0.012” shims on compression. (https://www.crawlpedia.com/shock_tuning.htm). Bilstein’s ratings are Newtons of resistance 255 = 2550 compression but I don’t know at what speed. Anyone know how to make comparisons between the two rating styles?

Anyways, good resources like this thread are why I love the forums, so I'm hoping some folks can help me out (while in turn I hope the clarifications help others.)

Regards,
-Joel

The hose angle referenced above is an issue for me at the moment. I am installing in the rear, with the JKS bar pin eliminators. I know others here have run this set up, but I can't see how. Is cutting clearance for the hose expected? Am I missing something else?

See pics below. This is the driver's side (rear) and the hose is point towards the passenger side. I tried flipping it the other way so that the hose points towards the drivers side and that is even less feasible.

01PgwW8_d.webp

8EMFCmH_d.webp

qU26qEc_d.webp

Back