• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Calling all For 9" gurus!

ShoeterMcgav

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Calling all Ford 9" gurus!

Hey yall...

My new to me XJ came with a fancy 9" with disc brakes... Not sure what its out of (back in the hotrodding fox body days we'd look for them under Versailles) might have disc conversion kit. Havent torn her down yet.

2 questions here-

First is silly... But isnt this pinion guard upside down? Kinda defeats the protection purpose ya? One of the seals are seeping there anyhow so I plan to flip it if im not losing it... Been years since ive touched a 9" .. Dont be gross

Secondly- im getting a bump in the rear when letting go of throttle and when applying, hit or miss when putting it in gear. For some reason I just assumed tranny kickdown and dismissed it...or wrote it off as normal behavior for a locked rear end- But its definitely in the rear and needs more attention. Is this just a backlash adjustment? When i try to shake the drive shaft its solid- so Ujoints should be good. I Dont want to eat up what ever carrier is back there tho cuz she is locked and id guess 4.56s or so

Last edited:
UEnsuw8

Last edited:
Pic post fail(s)

The ford nine inch is a stout rearend, nice upgrade. see if it has a tag indicating who built it, or what it came out of.

Mine runs in a high pinion configuration, built by Currie Co.

Nothing discernable- def a low pinion... Which is preffered since its a rear end.. A currie hp9 to match in the front would be sexytime!

Ya the 231 does indeed

Ya know... Im liking the idea 9"hp upfront more and more... I did know there were different hp 9"ers out there thanks for sharing the what tho. Discontinued?? That's odd- thought that was Curries pride n joy!

Why cant I post pics? Even after becoming a paying member? Must be user error... I'm using the imgur app

Yep, that pinion guard is upside down.

As far as the bump, check backlash when you can. What locker in the rear? Detroits have a little bit of roll to them, and can feel like a bump when getting going.

Thats a good question! Not sure yet... Sadly this Jeep I didnt build, it was bought. Its almost to where I had my ZJ (sold to move from NM to FoCo) but now I get to learn what was done without having my own list, and fix what wasnt done how I like

Ya know... Im liking the idea 9"hp upfront more and more... I did know there were different hp 9"ers out there thanks for sharing the what tho. Discontinued?? That's odd- thought that was Curries pride n joy!

Why cant I post pics? Even after becoming a paying member? Must be user error... I'm using the imgur app

There's really only one option for an actual 9" Front, A true Hi9 3rd member...and you'll pay accordingly for one. They might be a go to for me if I were building another buggy with 9" housings. One 3rd member would cost you about what a set of one tons runs, if not 2 or 3 times it.

Thats a good question! Not sure yet... Sadly this Jeep I didnt build, it was bought. Its almost to where I had my ZJ (sold to move from NM to FoCo) but now I get to learn what was done without having my own list, and fix what wasnt done how I like

When you pull the third to fix the seal(s). You should be able to tell what locker it has, check backlash, etc. Luckily on a 9" it's stupid easy, much like a 14 bolt.

Yikes! Didnt know the hi9 was worth its weight in gold!! Guess I'll probably never enjoy the matching 9s combo :/

I guess thats the bottom line.. Drop the 3rd member and find out. Guess I can count some teeth and find out the gear ratio while im in there.
Is there a go to for seal kit? Idk what its from makes it a slight challenge.

Make sure you use the BBCode (message boards & forums) link. Should just need to copy and paste.

Pretty sure this is what a stinger front is for......

wReMf37m.png

Great!! Now i need a stinger!!

Even when i deleted the name of the pic in the beginning... I get the same results

Or its just blank..

Back