• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want 1-2in lift - leaf vs spacer/shackles

SailorDan

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock '98 XJ being pressed into daily driver duties that is in bad need of new leaf springs (still wearing the originals:shocked:). I'm assuming it could also do with new coils in front.

I'd like to get a small lift out of the replacement, but it looks like anything under 3" is usually a spacer/shackle solution. I also want to stay under 2" want to avoid any driveline issues right now - all bets off later on.
Since I need new springs anyway, is there a package that will give me a little bit of lift over stock?

Is there any reason to avoid a shackle/spacer setup?

Thanks for the help - Dan

Spacers are fine for the front, for the rear I would recommend doing a "bastard" pack. There is nothing wrong with doing shackles in the rear.

Extended shackles on stock leaf springs aggravates the stock leaf springs tendency to sag and then invert.

A bastard pack is low cost and effective. If you buy an add-a-leaf, be sure to buy a full length leaf, the short overload leaf AAL types are very rough riding.

Coils spring spacers are fine, if the old coils still measure to stock specifications, they do not need replacement.

Pm me. I’ve got used old man emu coils that gave me about 1.5” in Oceanside. Then I used upcountry leafs that also gave me about that in the rear, but I cut those up. I loved that combo.

Thanks for the input. I might just stay stock for now and go big once instead of incrementally getting to where I want.

ljobbins - thanks for the offer - I'll think about it and PM you later.

Back