• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Patching up my junker...

Got a new radiator and a tie rod in the mail today. The radiator will have to wait until later but I got the new tie rod and steering stabilizer in. I really don't think the old stabilizer was doing... anything. That's not penetrating oil. I think that's oil from the shock.

10o0m6o.jpg

1zlfwk6.jpg

Looks much better. I'll probably run to town tonight just to see if it rides any better.

Last edited:
Yeah, the stabilizers do eventually wear out but rarely notice unless you have other issues. Can't see any of your pictures, btw. Looks like they're link to oilburners.net which needs an account to see.

Yeah, the stabilizers do eventually wear out but rarely notice unless you have other issues. Can't see any of your pictures, btw. Looks like they're link to oilburners.net which needs an account to see.

Funny you're the first person to say that. I'll have to fix that. Might be why nobody has commented! I'll have to find a hosting site. Used to be simple through Google but they changed their system.

In the meantime... Here's a link to all the photos of my Jeep if anyone is interested. I'll try to fix my previous posts when i find a good host.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4ghQALVs1CVZ8hat9

Last edited:
Well got a few things done today. Got the radiator and thermostat changed out. Added a small weep hole to the thermostat to help with air bleeding.

sn1bbm.jpg

Then I finally installed the repainted track bar bracket and new track bar.

2z9mnno.jpg

rhsuwl.jpg

Then I painted the wheels. Hopefully I can get the new tires mounted up next week or so. Nothing special just a set of 225/75/16 Duratracs I picked up from my buddy.

2myxj6f.jpg

Then added 5-10hp with a sticker lol!

dh48ao.jpg

Pictures are working now. That's pretty rough rig with a bit of rust, but looks like you're making good progress. What are the two holes in the hood up by the windshield for? I assume the ones up front were from hood pins. I don't really like how low that steering damper hangs. It practically needs it's own skid plate. :}

Pictures are working now. That's pretty rough rig with a bit of rust, but looks like you're making good progress. What are the two holes in the hood up by the windshield for? I assume the ones up front were from hood pins. I don't really like how low that steering damper hangs. It practically needs it's own skid plate. :}

Oh I haven't shown the rust yet :helpme: I have some 2x4 tube to replace the rockers and I'll be plating the unibody rails as I patch up the floor pans.

The whole front clip was given to me by a friend of mine. He upgraded to a ZJ that wasn't rusted out and my XJ needed a whole front clip. He had hood pins and those two holes were vents.

Yeah I don't know about that damper either but I couldn't beat $20! There's a chance I'll put a larger stock one on and put that other one on my truck (which could really use one).

Well yesterday I think I found the source of my Death Wobble for good... The sector shaft on my steering gear wobbles about a half inch side to side! I'll try to get the wife to help me get a video of it to share, I was pretty surprised since it's not leaking any fluid.

Pulled the gearbox from the parts Jeep, snapped off two of the three bolts. I heated the ears up and sprayed them down with penetrating oil. Got them out with some vise grips.

Then this piece of crap broke as was expected.

ofwy8l.jpg

That's fine. I was planning on doing away with it anyway. Nothing a couple hours and a some crappy welds won't fix! Feel free to critique my welding if you want. I really don't know what I'm doing. It's flux core .030 wire because that's what I have.

25z2ck7.jpg

vpdrva.jpg

2w2lcfd.jpg

140wyh0.jpg

I'll let that cool and mess with test fitting it on the parts rig later. I know I'll have to trim it down to make it fit right. And no I didn't weld that on the gear box. I fit it on the gear box, welded it, then put it back on to verify fitment.

I have the rest of the tie rods coming in next week just so they're all good, along with two new shocks so it will quit tossing me into the next lane on these crappy roads.

Also ripped open the dash and swapped the headlight switch in from the parts Jeep, yesterday I had to run the switch several times to get the lights to actually turn off. Swapped a couple tiny bulbs around so my HVAC illumination works, just took the bulb from the fog light switch because I didn't care enough to go buy bulbs.

I'm thinking about my bumper build. I'm not sure how I want to make the brackets. Should I bring them all the way back to the steering gear or should I plate the front with 11ga and just run the six bolts on the front for the bumper?

Back