• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stalls When Shifting from 2H to 4H

cij805

NAXJA Forum User
1993 XJ 4.0 HO, Automatic, 4x4

I noticed today that my “PART TIME” light was dimly lit even when in 2H, so I thought maybe a sensor got stuck. So I shifted it from 2H to 4H as I have always done and it died immediately. So I left it in 4H and out the trans in park and it cranked and cranked and never turned over, tried the same with 4L with the same result, it does start with the 4WD in Neutral and the Trans in Park if that makes any difference. I have never had a 4WD issue in this thing before and haven’t done any work or modifications recently. Any ideas? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get under your Jeep and look at the transfer case linkage, are any wires in the area getting pinched?
With the 'part time" light being dim, there may be a short, bare wire or some other electrical problem in the center console, near the transfer case linkage.
Remove the "T" handle and then pop the bezel off to look inside .

Thank You, I’ll take a look in the morning. Electrical isn’t my strong suit, so fingers crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back