• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 Issue

hummkee90

NAXJA Forum User
So i just picked up a 94 4 door with a 4.0/aw4/231 combo. When you shift it into gear, it locks in tight, and then after i let off the throttle, it loses all power as if it was in neutral. Then you have to shut it off for 20 seconds and fire it back up to drive it a few feet until it goes out again. I actually got it to drive a short distance and crawled it onto the trailer so i know it's locking in hard at first. i'm going to do a fluid/filter swap first and go from there. Any thoughts on what would cause that? Solenoid maybe? Checked fluid and smells a little burnt, but the level was good.

Is the transmission line pressure cable adjusted correctly? If loose, the transmission will not fully engage. The cable should be tight, with no slack left, at full throttle .

Thanks for the feedback guys. Did a tranny flush, filter and new fluid and it shifts perfectly now. The filter screen was so clogged that it wasn't able to build pressure. We'll see how long she holds up. Thanks again gents.

Back