• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Pressure Sending Unit and ECU????

It only sends data to PCM.

The reason I ask is that I just replaced my sending unit and now I have more power. It is not my imagination, it is clearly noticeable. I never considered it a possibility so I did not hop back in it with this preconceived notion already in my head. Does the connection with the PCM make this make sense????

Also, as a note, when I pulled the plug off the end it was damp with oil in there. There was not oil on the outside nor seeping out of it but there was a tad bit of leakage. Something others might look for to help make the determination whether to replace theirs or not.

Oh, and my oil pressure is back up in the range where I am not worried about an engine rebuild any longer. All is well, for now, in my XJ world.

Definitely possible since it uses the same 5vdc source a the VSS.

VSS = Vehicle Speed Sensor. Sends pulses to the ECU to represent how fast you're going (more pulses/second likely means faster).

The 5V line shared with the oil pressure sender is likely a reference signal - something the ECU compares with the VSS signal to determine what is and isn't a pulse. If the old sensor was causing that 5V line to read too low (or worse, adding noise that made the 5V line vary), it could have been causing the ECU to count the VSS pulses wrong and think you're going a different speed than you really were going.

Interesting. If anyone has low oil pressure readings I would pull the plug and look in the end of the sensor and on the plug for any oil residue. If you do don't believe all the information saying that 10 psi is ok and normal, replace it. You just might be surprised.

Back