• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 auto airbag light/DRB?

4x4JeePmaNthINg

NAXJA Forum User
I've had a random off and on airbag light for quite some time now. The last time I had this issue I replaced my clockspring with a Dorman cruise control equipped unit, and the light went away.

Currently my horn works and other than just the random airbaglight, there are no other symptoms common with a malfunctioning clockspring.

Now,

Is the DRBIII the only scanning tool that can tell what the problem is with this recurring light?
If so why is this the only tool that can scan the airbag system?
What could this drb tool say when something is found wrong (does it say sensors or wiring is the issue, perhaps a portion of the circuit) ?

Ive traced wires and check the airbag control module ground, I cant find anything awry here.
Ive tried unplugging the seatbelt wiring and nothing changes plugged in or not.

Im up for any ideas you all have on diagnosing this gremlin, if theres anything else I could do.

I appreciate any help

There are many aftermarket scan tools capable of communicating with the airbag module. I would research a low cost or rentable alternative to the DRBIII.

Any scan tool that can communicate will give you a suspect circuit to investigate. Not much more. Scan tools aren't sophisticated enough to narrow down a cause or specific failed part. Just make sure to follow recommended diagnostic strategies when dealing with airbags...they ARE explosives after all.

interestingly, the light has stayed on longer and more often (steady).

I figure it worth asking if this alone points to clockspring still?

horn still works, gauges fine, but with the indicator on longer and more often, perhaps a reading can be pulled?

Generally, a consistent warning light in the dash means a "hard" fault. This usually means that you don't need to wait for intermittent faults to occur. It should definitely have a code with a suspect circuit stored.

Last edited:
I had air-bag warning light problems on my Jeep recently and it took a long time for me to find the root cause. By chance I put a lot of pressure on the key pushing it into the barrel while turning it. The fault went away for that start.

I suspected that the air-bag warning circuit wasn't being initialised properly at the first switched position. My ARB compressor has an illuminated switch that is lit when the compressor is switched on with the ignition but this also wasn't receiving power unless I pushed the ignition key in hard while starting the Jeep. During fault testing that lamp was a reliable indicator of good accessory switched power. If my ARB compressor lamp didn't light up I would always get an air-bag warning. I don't know the details of the air-bag warning circuit but I suspect that the fault is a timing issue related to switched power.

I replaced the original 18 year old ignition actuator pin which wasn't broken with a Dorman replacement actuator pin and a new switch contact block. This fixed the fault for me. No more air-bag warnings.

Hmmm, I know my tumbler worn, door chime sometimes doesnt work until the key is pressed in.

You suggesting the ignition switch? (Contact block) you call it

Back