• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP I've screwed up my Jeep

cleatus92

NAXJA Forum User
So I was fininshing up a lengthy repair job on my jeep, got it all back together, and it started leaking at the rear tranny line coupling with the quick clips. By the way I love my Y-link but what a bitch to work around!!
Anyway I pulled the coupling And removed the tranny line and found a small peice of the previous broken quik clip in there. So I removed it and began to replace the coupling back into the tranny. This is where my fun began, I got a couple of threads in by hand and figured sweet its started lets tighten her down. Right? Wrong, I somehow in my apparent hastiness to go out and run my new 33's I cross threaded that steel coupling into the aluminum tranny housing. Now I have no reachable threads. Anyone ever screw this up besides me?? If so any fixes possible without pulling the tranny again? I'm thinking tapping it with a pipe tap and a threaded bung. Is there a longer steel coupling out there that would reach the threads. I really don't want to pull the tranny again!!!

Anyhow thanks, and any Info or HELP is appreciated.
Cleatus92:anon:

Thats no good Trevor.

I would try to tap it first, thread in a tube adapter, and run a rubber hose between the two.

If that doesn't work, might have to pull it again, and have a aluminum bung welded on the outside. Unless it can be reached with the belly pan on.

Trevor that sucks man. i've got pipe taps but sorry that none of them would fit your situation. all i've got are for our big pipe. 1.5" and bigger. hope it works out for ya.

helicoil. I think it's how it's spelled. I had to use it on a head bolt on my first 22r (aluminum block) rebuild. They sell it at NAPA I know and most others I'd figure.

Well I got it fixed!!!:yelclap: With the help of Napa Guy AKA Dad. He drilled out a 14mm bolt and we tapped it to accept a hose fitting. We then cut down the drilled out bolt to .9110in, teflon sealed the hose fitting into the bolt, threw on a o-ring and caefully tightened it down. we also replaced a section of the metal trans line with rubber transmission oil cooler line and hose clamps. Thus far no leaks and works like a champ. Oh and finally got to drive on my new Trxus 33's. Awesome. I'll be wheeling tommorow evening and then Naches on labor day weekend.
Cleatus92
Trevor

Back