NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > OEM Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

OEM Tech Discussion Forum for OEM (Original Equipment) or stock XJs and MJs.

Old August 14th, 2019, 10:54
NAXJA Forum User

P0705 (NSS), tried two new switches, one reverse light shuts off when braking

Howdy,
Been a long while since I posted on any forum, but got a problem with my 1999 238,000 mile XJ 4.0L.

While replacing the floor pans I replaced the NSS since I had to wiggle the shifter to start and to get reverse lights to come on sometimes.

Shortly after my check engine lights comes on with P0705, so I buy another new switch (also aftermarket) and the code comes back! I found the wiring diagram and checked continuity between the wires and they are good.

Weird thing... when in reverse both backup lights come on, but when I step on the brake the passenger side one shuts off!!! CEL means it fails NYS inspection.

Any ideas? Thanks!

-Hub
Old August 14th, 2019, 21:14
NAXJA Forum User

Re: P0705 (NSS), tried two new switches, one reverse light shuts off when braking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubjeep View Post
Weird thing... when in reverse both backup lights come on, but when I step on the brake the passenger side one shuts off!!!

Check the grounds at the taillights. I bet you have a bad one on that side. Check the wiring harness connector for the tranny/NSS on the passenger side of the firewall.
Old August 15th, 2019, 09:23
NAXJA Member #920

Re: P0705 (NSS), tried two new switches, one reverse light shuts off when braking

Hm. Another thing to check if the grounds don't solve it is the turn signal switch. I have an old 80s Dodge that at one point was doing some weird random stuff on the brake lights - sometimes no brake lights, sometimes the left only, sometimes the right only, sometimes normal. After a lot of poking around myself, I gave up and took it to someone; a new turn signal switch (the bit inside the column, not the lever you pull on), and it was back to normal.
Old August 15th, 2019, 17:36
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawsoncl View Post
Check the grounds at the taillights. I bet you have a bad one on that side. Check the wiring harness connector for the tranny/NSS on the passenger side of the firewall.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Its always the connector if you have cleaned the nss.. take it apart its probably rusty/broken inside.
Old August 20th, 2019, 09:30
How 'bout it Gonzo

Pull the kick panel on the passenger rear and check the main harness to sub harness connector for the tail light. A rust hole in the passenger rear wheel well caused water intrusion and corrosion at the non weather sealed connector and a P0705. I ended up bypassing the connector with crimp and seal connectors.
R.I.P."Buster" 86 laredo 2.8 ax5 10/85-9/17
In memory of Dave "Gonzo" Steele 1975-2008