• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

drive line vibrations

xj_chef

NAXJA Forum User
I have a stock '93 XJ, 4.0L,4X4, automatic.
I replaced the u-joints on the rear drive shaft, balanced it now rides nice and smooth at all speeds. no vibs.

I replaced all joints on the front shaft, greased up the slip joint, installed.
There is a vib north of 55mph.
I want to get it balanced tomorrow.

Without the front D.S. there is no vibration.
With the front D.S. installed there is a vibration north of 55mph.
Standing to reason that the Front D.S.
The real ? is, could the vibs be coming from something else?
I.E. transfer case?
thanks.

Last edited:
You have to pull the t-case apart.

how hard was that to fix?

Haven't fixed it yet. I pulled the front driveshaft. Then drove 450 miles the go wheeling on Saturday. Put DS back on and broke front axle out on the trail. I noticed it was by process of elimination. first pulled rear DS and drove for a few days, then pulled the front and drove for a few days. when I was under the jeep I grabbed a hold of the yoke in the output shaft and was able to move it in at out and up and down. I think a rebuild kit is about a $100. I'm going to replace all the bearings and seals. Now I need to find a front axle shaft.

when the front shaft is out and you spin the yoke on the front output shaft, does it make any odd noises? mine sounded like someone riding old metal rollerskates on the sidewalk.

so after all new joints and fluid in the diff and t case, still vibs at 70+mph.
got a used shaft out of a '96xj (same transfer and transmission.) the joints on this were good also. it is 1" shorter than the one from my '93.
installed anyway= vibs at 70+mph.
help i'm pulling my hair out.

Check your pinion/castor angle.Also double check the front slip-yoke,they don't fit really good new let alone used.

so the DS, t-case, diff, slip-yoke, pinion angle all good.
correct me if i'm crazy but the XJ is 18 years old.
could the sagging springs and worn bushings case the front end to walk at high speeds, causing these vibs?
thanks

Back