NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > NorthWest Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

NorthWest Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old March 25th, 2011, 10:54
NAXJA Forum User

Need info

Okay so I have been doing research on changing my A/C pump into on board air. I am still unsure of doing this mod or not my A/C works great however in the PNW probably will not get used as much as California so leaning towards on board air. Just hope my sisy dogs can handel the heat.
I need to know where I can shop for all the parts I will need. things like an oil mister, convelesing oil seperator and pressure switch to name a few.

Thanks for info Jason
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:04
NAXJA Forum User

Re: Need info

I dont know what kind of places you guys have over there but any type of air compressor shop should have everything you need. Just use the auto oiler for an pneumatic nail gun.
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:13
NAXJA Forum User

We have Portland Comppressor was just looking for ideas on other places that will maybe have diffrent brands and prices.
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:32
NWC President

Responded to your PM.

OBA is probably one of the best things I've done to my Jeep. However, if I had working AC beforehand I'd think twice about deleting it. Have you thought about building a CO2 setup? Cost would be pretty close to OBA.

Just another option to look at. If your set on OBA, there's plenty of us in the PDX area who can help.
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:39
NAXJA Forum User

Thank you kind sir. I figured I would ask the masses for a bigger reponse. I will need OBA at some point to run my ARB. I do not like the fact that I will lose my A/C however as time goes by my Jeep becomes less street worthy and more offroad worthy. I also would like to pull the other useless crap out that goes along with A/C like the big condensor that blocks the air flow threw my radiator. I may even pull my cruize control as it has stopped working recently I may have to fix that one though I like having that option.

Last edited by crazymoose1990; March 25th, 2011 at 11:46.
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:08
NAXJA Forum User

Misc fittings, Tank and oiler/seperator - Harbor frieght
Pressure switch and one way valve - Grainger

couple good local threads with lots of answers

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=990679

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...ight=board+air
Old March 25th, 2011, 12:10
NAXJA Member

I got everything for my system from lowes and grainger. You could shop for the componants on ebay and maybe get them in a couple of days after ordering. Depending on the system you want to get a pressures switch that turns the compressor on about 20psi under the max psi for your system (if you run a tank.) And off at your max psi. I got mine from Grainger Industrial on swan island. You can use brass or galvanized. I used brass for its ability to disapate the heat better.
Anyways..... you can go to either a specialty supply shop, home depot, lowes, ace, or local hardware and plumbing store. The pressure swith will be more difficult. You can get them on ebay or online or get them here in town from Grainger. When your ready to do the install call me up and I'll give you a hand. Heck I'll even go with you to get the parts. You got my number. Give me a call
Old March 25th, 2011, 13:01
NAXJA Forum User

Is anyone using there OBA for an ARB locker. I talked to a guy at Portland Comppressor and the guy told me for a convelesing water seperator to work properly it needs to be installed 25' down line from the pump otherwise it will not do its job. UH yeah thats not going to happen. I am concerned about putting moister into my front diff especialy since it will house a 900.00 dollar locker.

Thank you everyone for your rapid response and thanks Mojo for the links
Old March 25th, 2011, 16:04
NAXJA Forum User

I got everything I needed at Home Depot except for the pressure switch that I ordered online and the air tank that I got from my local 4x4 shop. AC is more of a luxury than a necessity here in WA and wheeling rigs typically aren't known for luxury. I only used my AC for a couple months out of the year, but my windows roll down just fine and I use my OBA every time I go wheeling.
Old March 25th, 2011, 16:54
NAXJA Forum User

Dude, don't do it. Trust me, the a/c is worth it. Come summertime, all those muddy trails are DUSTY trails.

Up at TSF in August, this was me

(TORX photo)

And this was everybody else.

Old March 25th, 2011, 16:59
NAXJA Forum User

But there is nothing wrong with a the cowboy look. Crazy come with me to the steel yard in the morning then we can hit u-pull and get you an AC
Old March 25th, 2011, 17:06
NAXJA Forum User

I would just use my existing pump. I need to make sure that I can pull all the water out of this setup before I get crazy. I called Portland comppressor today and the guy told me I would need to install my convelesing water filter 25' from the pump. That is the only way it would work properly. I may have to do an ARB or VIA air.
Old March 25th, 2011, 17:22
NAXJA Forum User

I'm running my ox air setup with my oba. Pm me if you have questions
Old March 25th, 2011, 17:31
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellstopjeep View Post
Pm me if you have questions
Yes, PM him. He has lot's of time to answer questions. He is literally available 24/7 for the next few weeks. I bet you'll get a response within ~7.3 minutes.
Old March 25th, 2011, 17:56
NAXJA Forum User

Well I can't seem to find the write up that I have seen in the past. If your interested in building a bracket that you can keep your A/C and have OBA then this might help. http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...oard+air+a%2Fc
There is a really good write up on some were about this same set up but has allot more to it. This is what I'm going to do in the near future because I wan to keep my a/c for when I do go out when it's hot and dusty. Good luck man I hope this helps.