• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

The XJ is still being manufactured, well sorta.....

Legacy

NAXJA Forum User
The XJ is still being manufactured, well sorta.....
Models: Super Jeep and Jeep 2500
check out http://www.beijing-jeep.com/

Wouldn't mind having a 2500 cherokee.

Whoa, That 2500 looks sweet. Kinda like it had a head on with an Escalade and peeled it's front off. We'd have to throw a 4.0 in that puppy though. :D

It's been beat to death on non-tech moons ago, but I think it would be expensive to import one of these, but probably not impossible

I imagine DC drew up a serious no-compete clause when they turned loose the papers (& tooling?) for the BJ, so forget about seeing one in the No American market too soon.

woody said:
It's been beat to death on non-tech moons ago, but I think it would be expensive to import one of these, but probably not impossible

I imagine DC drew up a serious no-compete clause when they turned loose the papers (& tooling?) for the BJ, so forget about seeing one in the No American market too soon.

Whoa, cool. It's called the BJ? Thats awesome. That'd be a real icebreaker when drivin alone with a girl. Sorry, i'm pretty immature, but thats better than drivin a Hummer. ;)

woody said:

Woody, I don't think so -- for two reasons.

First, Beijing Jeep's Director of International Sales told me that their agreement allows them to sell anywhere in the world.

Second, the agreement wasn't drawn up by DC. Beijing Jeep got into the Jeep manufacturing business around 1984, right when the Cherokee came onto the market. The original agreement was worked out with AMC. Since the XJ was currently being manufactured and sold here in the U.S. by AMC, I doubt very much that anyone even bothered to consider the possibility of BJ selling them here. At the time it would not have made sense.

DC simply inherited the agreement. There seems to be a common misconception that after the death of the XJ here, DC somehow transferred the tooling to China. That's not the case. BJ was building Cherokees and Super Cherokees long before DC killed off the XJ here. There is on-going cooperation, and I believe BJ buys engines, transmissions and transfer cases from DC and the U.S. suppliers -- but I would be very surprised if the agreement specifically says BJ can't sell them here.

The big issue, I think, is whether or not the catalytic converter meets U.S. standards (I think it does), and whether or not the steering column, air bag or bags, and door impact protection meet current U.S. standards. If BJ could get them certified, it would be a whole lot easier to bring one in than if it's bought as an uncertified vehicle and imported.

Did anyone else pick up on the two wheel bases? 2678mm and 2576mm(4" difference). Whats up with that? The over all dims are pretty much the same.:confused:

T Bent said:
Did anyone else pick up on the two wheel bases? 2678mm and 2576mm(4" difference). Whats up with that? The over all dims are pretty much the same.:confused:

You're still catching up. The longer wheelbase version is what they call the "Super Cherokee." The added 4" is in the rear seat -- now why couldn't DimestreChrysler have done that for us? The Super Cherokee also has a roof that rises over the rear seat, sort of like a Land Rover Discovery. It's a very nice package -- it's what DC should have produced instead of the Liberty.

Just in case ya'll were wondering, 138000 RMB's works out to about 17000 bucks. Not a bad price...

I guess the Chinese will be cruising around in their nice new XJ's while we are left with DC's watered down Liberty. It scares me to think what they might do with the upcoming GC redesign.:mad:

It combines the advanced technology from Daimler Chrysler and Chinese conventional requirements
I don't like the sound of "Chinese conventional requirements"! hmmm?

Those are 100% XJs, just built elsewhere. Interior is far nicer than anything we ever had here. Like Eagle said, I do not know why the improvements and options available on those XJs were never offered here. For that matter, the European spec XJ Limiteds were also nicer than anything we ever had here. Interiors had top quality leather, not that plastic looking crap we had, also trim was real wood not plastic.

As far as I know, its simply because XJs elsewhere are considered expensive vehicles, as such, the well to do want the best, the dealers simply requested better equipement and so Chrysler provided. Sweetest XJ other than that BJ, was the Orvis Edition.

I spoke to BJ about importing parts, they were all ready to do it. But one thing, they said I could not pay with credit card, they wanted me to wire the money...that kinda stopped things, because should they not turn in the goods, I would be royally screwed since I am not about to fly out to China.

XJguy

nice price

...but the freight has got to be killer. :(

Last edited:
What parts would you want to import?

Besides the whole vehicle, what parts do you guys want? I think the tail light clusters might be neat. I'd like to back it up to the showroom floor at the local Jeep dealership sportin' genuine CDM* hardware.:D

*Chinese Domestic Market (take THAT Honduh boyz):D

That would be pretty cool to have, but something about having a TRUCK that has a sticker on it that says "made in China" just doesn't appeal to me. :) People keep asking "why didn't DC just give the XJ another makeover and keep it a few more years". They did. It's called the KJ. Everywhere but the US it is still called a Cherokee. The Cherokee still lives...it's just a little more girly...;)

ZmOz said:
That would be pretty cool to have, but something about having a TRUCK that has a sticker on it that says "made in China" just doesn't appeal to me. :) People keep asking "why didn't DC just give the XJ another makeover and keep it a few more years". They did. It's called the KJ. Everywhere but the US it is still called a Cherokee. The Cherokee still lives...it's just a little more girly...;)

Just because DC calls it a Cherokee in Europe does not -- repeat NOT -- mean that the KJ is a make-over of the XJ. The KJ isn't just "a little more girly" -- it is basically inferior to the XJ in just about every possible way. IFS, unproven engine with less power where it's needed for off-road, softer, mushy, tippy suspension (did you know they dropped the Up Country suspension after a periodical rolled their test vehicle in a slalom?), considerably less usable cargo space in a heavier vehicle, ...

The Cherokee lives, all right -- in China, but not in the KJ.

Eagle said:
Just because DC calls it a Cherokee in Europe does not -- repeat NOT -- mean that the KJ is a make-over of the XJ. The KJ isn't just "a little more girly" -- it is basically inferior to the XJ in just about every possible way. IFS, unproven engine with less power where it's needed for off-road, softer, mushy, tippy suspension (did you know they dropped the Up Country suspension after a periodical rolled their test vehicle in a slalom?), considerably less usable cargo space in a heavier vehicle, ...

The Cherokee lives, all right -- in China, but not in the KJ.

Yes, I agree it doesn't compare in any way to the cherokee and is worse in almost any way that it can be...but it is the new cherokee. DC just made a really bad decision in deciding to do that to it...:mad:

Back