• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pics Pics Pics of more nine inch stuff. How's my welding/setup/etc?

Lucas

NAXJA Forum User
Here is a busted 8.25 shaft compared to my new favorite axle, the Ford 9"
shaftcompare.jpg

shaftsizeagain.jpg

And the only thing better than a niner is a shaved and trussed nine inch:
nineinchtrussed.jpg

nineinchangle.jpg

Nineinchside.jpg

It took some time, but I experimented with different styles of welding depending on how big the gap in the housing was or what angle it was at. Here are the obligatory bead pictures.
For straight welds I used the dime style:
stacked1.jpg

I did a Z-link type pattern for vertical/upside down welds:
verticalweldcorner.jpg

If the gap got big, which it did, I did the push pull technique:
gapweld.jpg

There was a piece of crap that fell into the gap as I was laying it down and it blew that top bubble into the bead.

Now that the housing is done, this can go into it:
detroitinstalled.jpg

Detroit Locker, Yukon 5:13s, 1330 yoke, new everything. Here is a pattern:
ninegearpattendriveside.jpg

Backlash at .007, Pinion preload right at 16 in/lbs. Took extra time to get the tolerances that low, but I wanted to make sure it was done right.
Tomorrow I'll get a crackalakin' on the front HP fohteefour.

Let me know what you think. If this belongs in a different forum, please move it. Thanks.

More pics on this thread:
http://jeepin.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=004908

theslacker said:
Damn man, now I have to wipe up the drool.

Thanks :wave: Any other comments/suggestions are appreciated. I'm so wrapped up in this swap I'm afraid I'll lose perspective.

I am by no means a master fabricator/welder, but those welds looks real clean. I also HATE welding upside down, but you did a damn good job. I like the truss, looks clean, and i cant tell you how many times i wish i had the knowledge to gear/lock a 9". Looks real good, definately post up more pictures as you make progress. I do have a couple of questions...

What thickness steel did u use for the truss?

Did u preheat the cast pumpkin prior to welding?

-Will

looking good man. thats what the plan is for my jeep just with 40spline and a spool. and whos disk breaks are you using?

FYI Ford 9" aint got cast iron on the housing just the 3rd member. its all steel baby!!!

Will

looks very cealn, but my question is...why did you have to weld upside down if the housing was bare and pulled out?

I don't like the dime style, all it is is tack welds overlapping each other, almsot no heat, the others looks very nice though. _nicko_

Nice work, good choice of tech for the welds, but is it just me or did the axle housing/tubes warp, it looks like it in the first pic

your pinion seems to be a bit inbound from the swipe pattern i see.should be fine but i also thought shooting for the center of the tooth was your best bet and you seem to be just a bit off.sometimes you just can't bring it in and have the backlash the way you need it so there are trade offs.the rest looks good from what i see

Jeepkid8037 said:
I like the truss, looks clean, and i cant tell you how many times i wish i had the knowledge to gear/lock a 9".
What thickness steel did u use for the truss?
-Will

The nine is a super easy axle to work with. If you're ever going to gear an axle, this is the one to learn on.

Gearwhine said:
why did you have to weld upside down if the housing was bare and pulled out?

Not exactly parallell to the ground upside down, but depending on where on the pumpkin I was welding, if I was in a rhythm and didn't want to stop laying down the bead I had to get into some weird angles before I stopped and repositioned the housing.

COXJ said:
plan is for my jeep just with 40spline and a spool. and whos disk breaks are you using?
I read that some don't like the 40 splines b/c you give up bearing strength for uneccesary shaft strength. The guys at true hi-nine alloy have 35 spline FF kits.
It's sad, but I'm still using drums for now. It only cost 25 dollars to completely redo them, so for now, that's what I'll be running. I *almost* tried an explorer swap, but I think in the near future I'll try out the Maxima caliper with the built in parking brake. http://www.naxja.org/forum/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=537642#

David Taylor said:
Must be an optical illusion because of the truss. The housing looks bent.
Yes, ummm, your eyes are decieving you. You are getting very sleepy....

Wil Badger said:
your pinion seems to be a bit inbound from the swipe pattern i see.should be fine but i also thought shooting for the center of the tooth was your best bet and you seem to be just a bit off.sometimes you just can't bring it in and have the backlash the way you need it so there are trade offs

This isn't an illusion. The pattern is a little towards the toe but the important part is getting centerd face to flank. As you said, it's probably a little toeside b/c the BL is so low. Also I should point out that the contact pattern on the nine inch is HUGE, as in bigger than a Dana 60.

This definatly looks warped, you should have taken your time on the welding to prevent the warping, have to keep it cool

nineinchtrussed.jpg

Joe said:
And why did you truss you nine?
Peace of mind. I could lift the housing with my pinky finger, and I'm not a very big guy so that worried me.

checked the gousing today, doesn't look warped like it does in the pic. I tried to keep it pretty cool. Welded a few inches, did the other side, worked on other stuff, then went back to the housing.

Thats good to hear about the drums working out for you,Taylor.

XTrmXJ said:
This definatly looks warped, you should have taken your time on the welding to prevent the warping, have to keep it cool

nineinchtrussed.jpg

it's the perspective of the camera angle...

if he had taken the pic from a lower height and straight on...

it wouldn't look as warped...

course...

once it's assembled and running...

the truth will be known!

:D

Got a little done today. Had to fully move out so it't not much, but any day I can burn some metal is good for me.
Sorry for lack of pics, just the major parts...
Fixed that tube I chopped in half. Sleeved the inside with .25"wall HREW turned down a bit. No inside shot, but it just looks like a tube pressed into another:
JeepBuild060.jpg

This has been a four day ordeal:
JeepBuild064.jpg

The knucles were pressed on VERY tight. 12 ton press didn't do anything to move them on the 3/8"tube. I kept grinding out the weld and tube, but didn't want to chop up another tube again by going too deep. I eventually took the MIG to them, high heat, low wire speed, and burned a dirty but deep weld around the ID of the tube. Shrunk it up enough to lessen the press fit, stuck it in the 12 ton press and it still fought me. Finally BOOM, and after four days of messing with it the knuckle finally budged about 1/8 inch:
JeepBuild062.jpg

After taking some measurements I tapped the ends partially on and went home:
JeepBuild049.jpg

its finally starting to look like an axle again.

Also, all this bent housing talk got me worried so I snapped some more pics:
JeepBuild068.jpg

JeepBuild067.jpg

Looks a little better from this angle. Gonna finish up the 44 tomorrow and mock everything up for the x-member, then start thinking about plans for the rear. The goal is low, wide, and smooth bellied. Hopefully it won't look like a rollerskate.

Lucas said:
The goal is low, wide, and smooth bellied. Hopefully it won't look like a rollerskate.

nope, it will look good, just don't go too wide...looks better if you can move the rear axle back a little though. _nicko_

Back