NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old December 4th, 2003, 16:31
NAXJA Forum User

Talking por-15 article up

I've finally gotten around to posting this article up, let me know what you guys think!

http://www.jeep-tech-tips.com/por-15.html
Old December 4th, 2003, 19:01
NAXJA Forum User

Nice article. How much of the undercarriage are you planning on doing? The amount of prep work would be staggering to try and do the whole thing. I think most important would be to get the interior, where the carpet and such will hold water next to the metal. I herculined the inside of mine after hitting some rusty spots with POR-15. One of the best things I ever did.
Old December 4th, 2003, 19:35
NAXJA Forum User

I don't know if I'll ever get all of it, but I atleast want to get the frame frails and then hit any really rusty spots between the two frame rails.

In an ideal world I would coat everything on the undercarriage, but I don't think I'd have the time nor the patience.

I definetly plan on getting most, if not all of the interior though. Probably next summer I'm going to strip out everything, POR-15 it, put in some peel n' seal for sound insulation and call it a day!
Old December 4th, 2003, 19:49
NAXJA Forum User

I didn't have access to POR-15, just used a WallMart brand of 'paint' that converts rust to primer. Used my grinder with a wire cup wheel to knock off the larger areas of rust in the floorpan. Wear a resperator in a well ventilated area, as the conversion stuff has fumes and besides, ya don't want rusty lung or whatever you get from rust/old paint, when you grind it off. Goggles as well, and yeah, I used a half box of rubber gloves (medical) between the rust converter and the herculiner. Did the entire inside, but my carpet had already been stripped out before I bought the '89. Dunno about POR-15, but with this conversion stuff, you want to use a seperate container to pour it in, not dip out of the can, as that contaminates/deactivates whats left in the can, if you want to use the rest of it later. I really like the way the herculiner turned out..but wear gloves..takes about 2 weeks for it to wear off yer skin..and the fumes are pretty powerful.
Old December 4th, 2003, 22:37
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally posted by poomba
I really like the way the herculiner turned out..but wear gloves..takes about 2 weeks for it to wear off yer skin..and the fumes are pretty powerful.
Reminds me about the guy who got Hurcliner on his hootus!

AARON
Old December 5th, 2003, 06:42
NAXJA Forum User

That hootus post is a classic!
Old December 6th, 2003, 11:58
On a Time Out

Re: por-15 article up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sternbal
Nice article. How much of the undercarriage are you planning on doing? The amount of prep work would be staggering to try and do the whole thing. I think most important would be to get the interior, where the carpet and such will hold water next to the metal. I herculined the inside of mine after hitting some rusty spots with POR-15. One of the best things I ever did.

I did the whole underside and the whole inside floor as well, all with POR-15. I also washed, etched, and coated inside the frame rails with Eastwoods Corroless and Rust stopper, one is a rust converter the other is a waxy self healing OEM type of coating. Then I sealed all the seams with seam sealer. Before Im done Ill be cappin all the holes in the frame and filling it expanding polyurethane foam.

XJguy